Entertaining fish behavior

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know I'm not the only one captivated by the behavior of the fish in the tank. I've found that one of the most interesting things about reefing has been seeing how much my fish's behavior changes after they settle in to their space. Most of my FW setups have been a group of schooling fish with a mated pair of something interesting (currently killi gardneri), but it seems my SW fish have much more "personality". Online sites do a great job of categorizing and cataloging fish so that you know what will do well in your community, and you can always get a good idea of their general behavior at the lfs...but I find that things really get interesting once your fish are happy in their homes and start...well...acting like fish, lol.

My lubbocks fairy is quickly becoming a favorite in my tank; he eats right out of my hand on a daily basis, and he will also swim up to my hand to pick pods and (benign) flatworms scurrying on the bottom of plugs when I move zoas on my sandbed :) On the other side of the coin, my chalk basslet has a cave in the rockwork that he hovers in at feeding time...when he sees a piece big enough worth retrieving he will dart out, grab it, and dart back into hiding as quickly as possible...you might miss him if you blinked, lol. It's odd since he will cruise around the tank all day...but once you put food in there he reverts back to his "hunting instinct" and hides out to catch his meal.

Anybody else have a favorite species, or specific fish that's shown some interesting/unexpected behavior in their tank?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not my favorite fish in my tank but I absolutely LOVE the way that my engineer goby interacts with his surroundings. He has some of the COOLEST motions in and out of the sand and he can swim in reverse which is pretty sweet!