zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats definately a branching hammer and not a frogspawn. Euphyllia Ancora

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I own a lot of hammers, and i'm 99% sure it isn't a branching hammer.

zombie;323447 said:
Thats definately a branching hammer and not a frogspawn. Euphyllia Ancora
That is a picture out of my buddies tank, i have a frag of it in my tank also, i'll try and take some pictures of it in my tank next to my hammers.
(tonight after work)

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its possible that it is a cristata or some genus that is a kind of in-between from the torch or hammer. It does have the hammer shape, but not very prominantly. Its definately not a frogspawn though.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, I couldn't change my title, should have put "Help ID this Euphyllia".

zombie;323453 said:
Its possible that it is a cristata or some genus that is a kind of in-between from the torch or hammer. It does have the hammer shape, but not very prominantly. Its definately not a frogspawn though.
He is also planning on selling them, so i was trying to figure out what they are worth for him.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im still thinking hammer. Here is my frogspawn for comparison.

[/IMG]

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya I have a frogspawn like that one also.

I am still trying to find info out about the thin branching frogspawn.

The reason I keep leaning towards that is because I have never seen a hammer coral with multiple heads on a tentacle. Plus if you look at the face of this one and the face of the traditional frogspawn they have the same radiating pattern from the mouth.

i have 7 different types of branching hammer and none have that pattern.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could just call it hammerspawn. Lol.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;323501 said:
You could just call it hammerspawn. Lol.
yea i I give up for now....will see if I find any for sale at macna and then ask them. Really have not found any pictures online that look like this one exactly. Honestly I do hope it is a hammer, but just have a feeling it is related more towards a frogspawn.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;323470 said:
As you can see some of the tentacles have the shape similar to frogspawn.
I will be following this as I have an almost identical frag. It started out as a very small frag from MBC a year ago, and there was only one round tip per tentacle for a very long time. I thought it might have been a very short tentacled torch. As it has grown, the tips are getting hammerish oblong, but it is starting to get multiple buds per tentacle too.

Back in Ohio where I'm from some dude took it upon himself to name this "Porkyspawn"...
I've seen a few different colonies that look exactly the same as what you have.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found one that I think is almost an exact match. It is labeled as a cristata

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I saw that website and they called that Crista torch, however on another website the crista was called grape coral.
I'm not sure that it is a torch, shrug maybe...but i know my other tourches WRECKED my hammers when they touched...this one is right up against my orange hammer and they get along just fine.

I also so people generically calling it hammerspawn, porkyspawn (apparently porky was person selling it in ohio).

I think hammerspawn is the closest hobbiest term that makes sense. As for scientific name, i got nothing...a different website when i looked up that cristata had a picture that didn't really look like it.

I figure this weekend at MACNA we will have tons of knowledge and maybe one of those PRO's can help me out. If not Hammerspawn wins :)

zombie;324186 said:
I found one that I think is almost an exact match. It is labeled as a cristata

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I sold them a huge branching hammer a while back. I wonder if that's the same one? Did they have quite a few frags of it at the time?

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rplank;323503 said:
I will be following this as I have an almost identical frag. It started out as a very small frag from MBC a year ago, and there was only one round tip per tentacle for a very long time. I thought it might have been a very short tentacled torch. As it has grown, the tips are getting hammerish oblong, but it is starting to get multiple buds per tentacle too.
Whoops! Didn't notice that the quote wasn't attached. I sold a huge branching one to MBC

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;324198 said:
I like hammerspawn!!
What kind of hammer did Mr. and Mrs. Hammer spawn?

or

Does MC Hammer's kid wear hammer pants, too?

I vote frog hammer. :madgrin:

Late,

GC