ex-Kent salt user question

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you used to use Kent salt, what did you change to?

Thinking about a switch, curious if you had better experience once you changed, or not much of a difference?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I use either Red Sea Pro or Instant Ocean regular or Reef Crystals. I've used Fritz too but not long term.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had used kent and then swapped to Firtz. Fritz was good. Now I am just using IO purple and it works the same as fritz for the most part. Not quite as much growth as the 2 years I used Fritz. But I have only used IO for 4 months now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started with IO reef, went to Kent for a few months, and switched back to IO reef. I didn't like the Kent. I found it was inconsistent.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently switched from Kent to Red Sea Coral Pro. I found the Kent to be inconsistent with Alk. The Red Sea is easy to mix, just weigh it out. So far so good

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was using Kent and switched to IO reef crystals. I didn't see a huge difference aside from being more consistent

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Went from Kent to Fritz and never been happier :)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't use Kent for very long but the short time I did I found the alk to be pretty inconsistent and is seemed to produce a lot of residue for me. I like ESV the best buts it's just too expensive. I use plain ol IO now and while the alk seems very consistent the mag and calcium are generally not but I don't really care anyway because I doctor up each batch as needed.

to be honest I'm not sure I've noticed any real difference between the three meantioned. Any difference would be based purely on anecdotal evidence.

for me me it comes down the price, convenience, and the fact that people have been growing amazing reefs with IO for years and years. Plus you can get it petco or petsmart in a pinch.