External Skimmer Question

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is anyone running one external pump to run their entire system. I'm in the building phase of a 150 and would like to make my little giant mdqx-sc (1326 gph) act as my return and external skimmer pump, maybe some reactors as well. I'm not opposed to purchasing a larger pump if need be.

I've never built a system like this and would love to hear anyone's experiences with this..

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
No different than a submersible pump. At Kona we run 2 hammerheads on the tank, only because we have 2 different filters and 2 overflows, but we run 1 hammerhead to go through a skimmer and a cannister filter and 1 pump running through an Ultraviolet II and a UV Filter. With some flow adjustments and what not you can easily run a skimmer, reactor and return off 1 pump. Id suggest by passes and dont be shy on shut off valves/ball valves. control each components flow and have it split off and go back to the sump or back into the return line.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;245277 said:
No different than a submersible pump. At Kona we run 2 hammerheads on the tank, only because we have 2 different filters and 2 overflows, but we run 1 hammerhead to go through a skimmer and a cannister filter and 1 pump running through an Ultraviolet II and a UV Filter. With some flow adjustments and what not you can easily run a skimmer, reactor and return off 1 pump. Id suggest by passes and dont be shy on shut off valves/ball valves. control each components flow and have it split off and go back to the sump or back into the return line.
Good to know, thanks for the input. Yea, I will put in a ball valve before each component to control flow.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I am running all of my components sump, gfo reactor, second gfo w/carbon, chiller, and my returns with an Iwaki 70. I do run my external skimmer with a submersible pump though so I know it is getting sufficient flow. Running my skimmer o the same pump would require a bigger pump for me.