1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Favia vs. GSP

Discussion in 'LPS (Large Polyp Stoines)' started by lehner, Sep 22, 2015.

1. lehner

lehner Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Who wins? I have some gsp in my little 5g and rather than cutting it or removing it I'd rather just have it corralled. Would favia provide this?

2. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

In my experience, the cheap coral beats the expensive coral every time ;)
    Really I'd say you are best off placing the gsp on a separate rock or glued to the back glass. Somewhere you can control the growth without much trouble.

3. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I bet the favia would keep the gsp at bay. The gsp would grow faster and would just grow around the reach of any sweeper tentacles the favia puts out.

4. Firedawg56

Firedawg56 Copepod

I used a Torch to control my xenia. When the xenia would try to expand its territory the torch would sting it back...same theory but I don't know how aggressive the favia is.

5. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Favias can be fairly aggressive up close, but are slow growers, where as the gsp is a fast grower and could potentially just overrun the favia I think

6. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

I sense a new reality show in the making...

The Coral Wars!

I'm with Skyshark - put the GSP on the back glass or a rock that's separated from the other rocks a bit so you can keep it trimmed up/contained.