First tank ever...salt or otherwise.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been helping a friend with his 75 gallon for about 6 months....finally decided to get my own...living in small condo so 8 gallons will have to do. (Hopefully I don't kill anything)

Thanks Denver Aquariust for selling me the tank and for the advice.

Been lurking for a while and even visited at the columbine meeting. Hope to meet new folks at the aqua mart meeting if my wife lets me go...in laws bday.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: First tank ever...salt or otherwise.

Welcome!!

I agree start small and work your way up. I got too big too fast and feel overwhelmed, now I'm down-sizing to a nano.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even with the small tank I feel a bit overwhelmed. I purchased a 4 gallon nano at first, but that evaporation and small size drove me crazy just trying to keep salinity right. The 8 gallon is much better since I can just use the cheap upside down water bottle for now.

So now I am using that 4 gallon as a quarantine tank, but the lighting is junk so i'm worried about keeping corals in it for long. I am thinking about alternating light schedule...use my main light on 8 during day and at night before bed put it on the 4 gallon... 1 light 2 tanks.

What is driving me crazy is I picked up a hammer and it had Majano's on it (yay for the QT) but it has little hairs which from my research look like a type of worm. Trying to figure out if they are a pest then i think maybe after removing the 4 large Majano's i've found a ton of little ones all over the place (still not sure).

Just really don't want to get that junk in the main tank and it is stressing me out....Hard to get a picture of the stuff my phone camera doesn't seem to want to focus.

dr.schlegs;224343 said:
I agree start small and work your way up. I got too big too fast and feel overwhelmed, now I'm down-sizing to a nano.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking it is either a Chaetopterid/Spionid worm.

Basically it looks like tons of pin holes in the trunk portion of the hammer. Each pin hole has 2 little white (hairs) sticking out of them. The hairs only stick out about 1/4 of an inch.

Up higher near the heads of the hammer it did have some burrows that were hard that i broke off that looked kind of like this.
http://nml.uib.no/virtue/img/nydisk2004/images/007%20Spionid%2006.jpg

I'm thinking the ones lower down are younger and have not built up the tube portion?

Assuming they are Chaetopterid/Spionid worm. From what i gather it sounds like they are fine in the tank helpful filter feeders...however it also sounds like they can get out of control.

H2O_intolerant;224535 said:
Good job on QT.
Hard to really ID something without pics though. Can you find a look a like on the internet?