Fish Aggression...Who's the culprit?

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey All,

Sad news today...My 6-line wrasse has passed. He didn't come out for feeding yesterday, which is very odd. After checking the carpet and overflow, I hoped that something had spooked him and he went into hiding. This morning I found him in bad shape, laying on his side, being beaten up by my Coral Beauty angelfish and my starry blenny. I couldn't do much to save him, and now the only thing left to do is FIND HIS MURDERER and remove him from the tank. I see three options:

#1 He got sick and, seeing him in a weakened state, the blenny and angel attacked him. This is not likely, as he was eating and behaving normally up until yesterday, and is not old.

#2 Starry blenny killed him. I have never seen the starry blenny aggressive before, but he was REALLY attacking my 6-line this morning. HOWEVER, this may be because the 6-line was already wounded by the:

#3 Coral Beauty killed him. This is probably what happened. She killed a sunburst anthias that I introduced to the tank a month ago (I guess this could have been the blenny as well, but I never saw him attack it, and did see the angelfish attack it). I took the hint, and decided I couldn't add any NEW fish to the tank. But I never imagined she'd turn on a fish that she had ALREADY been living with for close to a year.

So someone with more experience, what do you think happened? I'd like to remove the "problem fish" in case it has another change of heart and goes after some of my others. Appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks,
Max

Jadkins4

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My coral beauty picks on my clowns and the clowns beat him up in return. I would say its your coral beauty doing the bullying. But I'm no expert by any means, just what I've seen in my tank.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Any inverts in the tank?

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;306237 said:
Any inverts in the tank?
My other fear! I have a pretty standard cleaning crew, 2 scarlet hermits, a few smaller hermits, a cleaner shrimp, and a wide assortment of snails. Also some pretty large bristle worms, although these were unintentionally acquired. I put an emerald in there awhile ago, but honestly I'm not sure if he's still in there or not.

Think a crab could have caught him napping?