Fish in checked luggage

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
While we were on vacation, we visited a fish store and fell in love with a specific fish. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with transporting a fish in checked luggage. It seems like it would be less stressful than UPS or FedEx because it's so much less time. Has anyone had experience with this?

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just to clarify, we passed it up because we were concerned as to how being in the baggage compartment would affect the fishes health. But I was wondering if anybody has checked in a fish and how it turned out. By the way, the airline we flew would not accept fish as carry on pets. What???

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ikan60;312307 said:
Just to clarify, we passed it up because we were concerned as to how being in the baggage compartment would affect the fishes health. But I was wondering if anybody has checked in a fish and how it turned out. By the way, the airline we flew would not accept fish as carry on pets. What???
makes sense considering it would violate the amount of liquid you are allowed for carryon. You know with all the terrorist goldfish attacks and all.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You would need to insulate the package just like you would when you are shipping it. They control the temperature in the cargo hold where pets go...but typically not where everyone's luggage is kept. I've been told the average temp is about 45 degrees.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was this store in the country or out? In country would be ok because you wouldnt have to deal with all the customs stuff for animals. Carry on you probably can't because its a 3ml liquid rule. I dont see why you couldn't check in in with a Styrofoam box.

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Store was in the country. Otherwise, like you said, it would be illegal import of animals. Supposedly, TSA allows fish as a carry on because the fish is alive and fish cannot live in explosive liquid but I think that would probably depend on the specific TSA agent you got and his or her prior experience with terrorist goldfish:wink-new:. As for checking it in, temperature is a good point. What about pressurization? I assume that ups or fed ex would ship it in a similar compartment, but I am not sure. Are you safer to ship the fish than to check it in?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those cargo cabins on passenger jets are pressurized. In instances where the cabin is not properly pressurized, you end up with a plane-full of upset passengers whose luggage is soaked in about 20 kinds of cologne and perfume (don't ask me how I know this, lol) Not sure exactly what UPS and FedEx do...I'd assume similar conditions, but they are just large cargo planes.

I definitely wouldn't roll the dice and hope for a knowledgeable TSA agent. Being that the price of extra checked luggage is starting to get a bit ridiculous, you may only be saving a small amount of money by not overnighting the package via FedEx. If both options are available...I'd just ship. I know that FedEx and UPS may not have the best reputation for caring about your package...but they generally do pay attention to cautionary notes (live fish, fragile, etc) on packages. Baggage handlers at the airport though? lol good luck.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've always wondered about this as well? Following.

I've read some horror stories about luggage being randomly "inspected" and fish dying as a result. The water was drained etc...

I've tried to ship via FedEx/ UPS before and sometimes get hassled about it. Apparently, we're not technically allowed to ship live animals even though we do it all the time. I typically go to a main FedEx hub to do my business now, but to me it's a big hassle if there's not one near by...

Though I haven't tried yet, IMO I would try carry on but I can't tell you what would happen... I'm told that transporting live fish in containers larger than 3oz is allowed, but I don't see anything on the TSA website so I don't know for sure.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol...funny about FedEx not taking live fish/pets. I know that's a rule, but I've gone to their regular counter several times in the past and told them I was shipping shrimp in the package (used to keep dwarf freshwater shrimp). I guess they never assumed they were alive? :p

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, there's one FedEx office in Fort Collins that's consistently bad on Harmony and Timberline. Always giving me a hard time no matter what I go there for or god forbid if I have to pick up of my priority package (their always open late at 11:15-30 am instead of 11am). I think it's just poor management at this one particular location. Sadly it's the closest one to my house.

They wouldn't even let me ship a dead fish once...I've had no issues at the other FedEx offices in Fort Collins and their depot. Even when I tell them I'm shipping live fish and coral.

There just doesn't seem to be a reliable answer of how to get a fish home from out of state.... Seems like you'll get hassled no matter what...

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;312372 said:
The TSA will allow fish to be carried on in a bag of water as a pet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Good to know. Just make sure its in a really big bag of water in a breather bag.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a thought, but for most fish you could just have one of our sponsors order once you get back, as long as you get the name of it.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;312372 said:
The TSA will allow fish to be carried on in a bag of water as a pet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Just wondering . . . Have you ever carried a fish on without an issue?

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
kyuubichan218;312433 said:
Just a thought, but for most fish you could just have one of our sponsors order once you get back, as long as you get the name of it.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2
Yeah! That's what we decided. This fish just had a great personality and we fell in love (even in an overcrowded tank in a fish store!) At this point it's moot. I was just wondering for future reference. Thank you everyone for your input. This forum is amazing!