Fish list suggestions

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking for some fish suggest for the new cube build. The tank is 25x25x31(ish)...so about 85 gallons.

I have a few fish in my nanocube that will probably be going in there first:

• Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
  • Diamond Goby
  • Chalk Basslet (non-aggressive...he even hides from my goby)

I would like to get those fish into the new build first so that I can break that tank down due to some space issues. I'll be setting up a QT at some point midway through adding those fish so I can have it cycled and ready for any new additions. In addition to the fish above, I plan on adding:

• Oscellaris clownfish pair
  • Kole Tang

I think I'd like to add a couple more fish in there. I'd prefer peaceful species that I can add prior to the clownfish and the Kole tang...all of the fish I currently have didn't show any aggression towards new additions, so I'm not too worried about any peaceful fish being stressed by my wrasses or basslet after acclimation.

Suggestions? I was thinking of adding a pair of dartfish, but am definitely open to more ideas. I don't have too much in the way of large caves for fish to hide, but did create a lot of overhangs and tunnels through the rockwork that are about 2-3" across for smaller fish to retreat into their dart-holes.

:help:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
IMHO I woulndt put a Kole or any other tang in a tank that size, but thats just me, an probably 50 other people on this forum. My Kole loves to roam the 180, swims very fast weaving in and out of the rock stack and playing with the other tangs, youd be cheating that fish out of a happy life to put it in a cube that size, theres not enough horizontal space for it to happily swim at leasure, IMO.

She also got very aggressive towards my wrasses and even my pink tail trigger when I had them all in QT for the re build. They do not seem to like to be confined to smaller spaces with other fish.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm admittedly on the fence about the tang...I've had quite a few people say it'd be fine, and others frown at the thought. I purposely scaped the tank so that the swimming space runs along the diagonal length, but I do realize it's still a bit short of the 4ft recommended length. If the tang doesn't go in, I considered adding my flameback angel in there instead...but he seems pretty happy in my 20 by himself and getting him out would be a PITA.

That being said, got any alternatives for the tang?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah kole tangs are so small I don't see an issue adding one in there. My kole would always just graze anyway. not like they pace

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the feedback. I think the angel will be staying put, and I have a good 6+ months to decide whether a Kole tang will be taking up residence in the new tank...

Aside from the classic tang debate, any thoughts on areas of the tank that might look "empty" considering my current list? I know the wrasses will probably use the entire water column, and the basslet will probably find a dart hole and hang out next to it most of the time. Trying to decide between some open swimmers vs additional "bottom dwellers"...the fish I have in mind to complete the list were maybe a trio of agile chromis, or a pair of mandarins. Not sure how my goby will get along with the mandarins as he doesn't even back down from my basslet and yellow coris wrasse. He actually just made a burrow under the rock where the wrasse used to sleep...and hasn't flinched at the wrasse when it flares up at him.

I probably should mention that the tank is going to be stocked with BTAs and possibly a couple maxi mini nems.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Starry blenny. They have tons of character, and their skin tone changes dramatically from one minute to the next. Black with lots of white splotches, then suddenly pale with dark spots... really cool to watch.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;241447 said:
Anthias group.
I really like Carberryi Anthias, and did have them on the list at one point. I guess my only hesitation with them is the necessity of multiple feedings throughout the day given my work schedule. I may give it a go with an autofeeder running mid-day, but I hear that don't take to pellets too often.

CindyL;241451 said:
Starry blenny. They have tons of character, and their skin tone changes dramatically from one minute to the next. Black with lots of white splotches, then suddenly pale with dark spots... really cool to watch.
Love those fish...but worry about perching fish becoming nem food since I'll probably have a couple maxi minis in the tank. :(

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I was originally planning on adding my current fish first, then picking up the clowns. Since my wrasses are at least 3", should I add the clowns first? I figure I'm getting juveniles and it might be too stressful to add them once the wrasses are established. Thoughts?

Vance

Angel Fish
+1 on anthias, I have about the same dimension tank and ive had a lot of trouble getting fish that dont all congregate at the bottom.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
anthias are good, i personally like my scooter blenny, eats frozen, flake and pods... hes never not moving around. so thats my recommendation

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I may avoid mini maxi nems and just go with BTAs so I don't have to worry too much about my bottom- dwelling and perching fish...I actually saw a red scooter blenny the other day and am considering getting either one of those or a starry blenny. Also, I'm starting to lean towards a trio of anthias or chromis instead of the Kole Tang...you guys have definitely swayed me, lol. I think a trio of anything would be a nice way to round out the tank since my other planned species are all in pairs or are single specimens. I was initially worried about getting anthias to eat flakes or pellets, and being able to feed the tank 3x a day...but after talking to a few people with some more experience than myself, I think I can manage it, and worse case scenario I'll try an autofeeder for while I'm at work.

Those sunburst are easily my favorite sp. of anthias...but I think I'm still reeling from sticker shock after checking them out a couple months back, haha. I'll probably go with either those or some Chromis depending on what the budget allows. I'm really liking the color on those "agile chromis"

Nick, I'll be hitting you up about those clowns as soon as I get my current fish in the system and things start to settle in. I'm not too sure about that Warty Frogfish though...I think anglers are awesome, but the g/f put those and eels on the list of things that "if they ever end up in the tank [she] won't be coming over anymore". :p

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did some reading outside of LiveAquaria's typical recommendations...

Contrary to what LA recommends, it sounds like Sunburst anthias behavior differs a bit from typical anthias behavior, in that they don't need as much swimming room and prefer to hang out in rocks, caves, and overhangs. Thanks again Nick...I always liked the fish but didn't know if it'd be a solid choice til I started looking into them further. Sounds like my scape should work out well for them, as the other rock dwelling fish (my basslet) tends to just pick a dart hole and hang out next to it. My wrasse picks a cave for sleeping at night, but doesn't really get territorial during the day, so the sunbursts should have plenty of freedom in roaming around the rockwork during the day. I'll definitely avoid adding my African Flameback angel to the mix...as he chased everyone away from the rockwork in the nanocube and don't want him pestering the anthias.

Looks like my fish list is going to be:

- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
- Chalk Basslet
- Diamond Goby
- 2x Oscellaris clowns
- 3x Sunburst Anthias

I may add a blenny if I can maintain enough pods in the tank...my goby is skinny as it is from competing with my wrasses though, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for the input everyone! I still need to figure out the stocking order, but will probably add the 4 fish I have now first (basslet, goby, then wrasses...if I can catch them in that order), followed by the clowns, then the anthias.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did some more reading. ;)

Sounds like sunburst anthias don't do as well in groups as other anthias species. Anybody have any experience with this species?

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Fish list suggestions

jahmic;243173 said:
Did some more reading. ;)

Sounds like sunburst anthias don't do as well in groups as other anthias species. Anybody have any experience with this species?
Yea I had some and they just like to hang out between the rocks and be alone :) very beautiful fish.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2