Fish wormer

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all. Anyone have any experience with (do they exist) a wormer for fish that they don't eat (prazi)? Looking at picking up 3 leopard wrasses (1M 2 F) for my reef. From what I have read they typically come in with intestinal worms. I'd love to QT them but they aren't the best fish to do that with so I am wondering if there is something that I can do a quick QT (few days) either myself or at a shop where they are purchased to take care of this potential issue. Appreciate any thoughts!

Adam

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Prazipro is the go to medication for deworming and getting rid of flukes. I started using it on all new arrivals after I lost three wrasses who were, on the outside, very healthy. I attributed the deaths to internal parasites. I haven't had any mystery deaths since treating new arrivals with Prazi. After the three deaths I even treated the entire reef with Prazipro and had no side effects.

A lot of people, including myself, set up qt tanks with sand beds for delicate wrasses. I've also seen delicate wrasses at lfs's seemingly doing fine in tanks with no sand beds.

Either way, I highly recommend Prazipro for all new fish, especially wrasses.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
And you should let us know how the leopard wrasses do too! I'm also considering a harem once my 180 is set up

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with the prazi as noted. My big concern is that what I have read says that they do not do well in a QT environment. I was hoping to do a quick QT with something assuming that they will not eat in QT and move them to the DT where there is an abundance of live pods. In reading the prazi directions I see that I can add it to the water vs. soaking food in it. Works in 5-7 days. So I guess I could treat them in QT, try to feed them while they are there and then move them to the DT. Anyone have success with this approach? I just don't want to stress/kill them before they get into the DT.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's the exact procedure I do.

I think the biggest hurdle you have is to get them to survive the shipping.

For feeding, you can start off with live brine and/or blackworms if they don't take frozen right off the bat.