"Fix" my Chinese LEDs!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a120 watt LED panel from the group buy a while back and am having problems with it... The control/program display went out and I can't program any new times... So the blues are on for 12 hours and the whites for 8. I'd like to remove the display all together and just run either a switch for whites or just run another plug for the whites to run on a timer. So here's a picture of the light cracked open:

Here's the plugins to the LED heatsink from the drivers:

And here is the single plug and the black and white wires going to the circuit board:

I think the circuit board is purely for the display so I think I can remove it. And the drivers are clearly labelled with how they are wired, but is it really that simple? Just run the black and white to the drivers? And what are these smaller boxes?:

There are 2 smaller ones labeled "NL power supply" and the wires run to and from the circuit board. Then there are 3 large boxes; 2 labeled "LED power supply" and one labeled "NL power supply" that have pigtails out to the LED board. Any help would be appreciated!!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 of those small boxes are the fan power supplies. The other one is the power supply for the display.

I could probably give you a hand, but I would want to see it in person before giving any advice.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to bump so soon guys, but this is hanging open on my coffee table today and I want to get it hung tonight over my tank! So in general, do you just power the LED supply with the black and white of the plugin and then just go to the pos. and neg. of the LEDs?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
you got a three year warranty. Just email them and get the parts sent. I had to have new drivers, and a controller sent. You just gotta tell them what's wrong and they ask for pics.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;199683 said:
you got a three year warranty. Just email them and get the parts sent. I had to have new drivers, and a controller sent. You just gotta tell them what's wrong and they ask for pics.
Gabe all they do is give you the run a round. There are many of use that have had nothing but issues and run a round from these light. Anny e mails and six months later and no resolution to Scott's lights and my lights that Mike has.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;199684 said:
Gabe all they do is give you the run a round. There are many of use that have had nothing but issues and run a round from these light. Anny e mails and six months later and no resolution to Scott's lights and my lights that Mike has.

Agreed... I don't want to wait months for a resolution... Since I'm lucky and it's just the programming board that I can't change, I'd like to eliminate it before it takes out something else. I just don't want to short out the entire system while I'm tinkering.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moment of truth...

Circuit board removed and both blue drivers temporarily wired in...
BOOM!! We have light!!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good job! Now you just not going to hook up the control panel back up?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;199699 said:
Good job! Now you just not going to hook up the control panel back up?

Correct! I am going to add another 3 prong plug to power the whites and run the unit off timers same as my Evo.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
All done!!

That's the heatsink in there. No screen.

Hanging! We shall see if there are any problems!!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Evo on the right, Chinese on the left. Just blues on each right now. I'm interested in seeing the PAR #s on the Chinese light... If I can ever get my hand on the meter!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Jack good work bro!!!! Your going to have a line of clients wanting the same mod I think lol

By any chance to you have instructions for this LED? I have similar ones but mine have dimmable drivers and I haven't figured out how to program yet...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine didnt come with any instructions... Everyone in the group buy got an email from Cherub that he got from the manufacturer about how to program them... Ill look to see if I still have that email anywhere. But my programming screen went blank after I programmed them and I could never reprogram them... Hence why I decided to delete the screen and programming all together and just run on timers.

I'd really appreciate it. Mine seem to be all working well, but I'd like to understand the mechanics of how to change the lighting....

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jack I sent him the manual as well as the contact email for warranty so no need to look for it. Like the modifications you made. You know how to swap out LED nodes on those boards? LOL