Floating Rock Wall

I have made foam rock walls in the past, but this time I will be making a magnetic floating rock shelf that will attach to my display tank back wall. I will be planting my year and a half old mangroves into the top of the rock wall breaking out of the water. Just got my waterfall foam, need to get some sand and construction will begin today. Pictures to come

Progress pictures. Just sealed the final coat of sand onto it and will post pictures when the sand dries.

Photo #1 is the egg crate frame, I sprayed waterfall foam on top of it and used sugar sand to throw on it to stop it from expanding too much and get some roughness to the surface to be realistic

Photo #3 is just a pile of the foam material removed from photo #2 to show how much shaping is required because it expands so much

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
FishTV;639176 said:
I'm not sure how you got from the first picture to the last, but that thing is AWESOME!!
+1 more details on how you created this.

Sorry everyone, I realize now the pictures are a little confusing. I will post a more detailed step by step instruction on it as soon as it is completed.

TheRealChrisBrown;n639233 said:
I've been thinking of buying a few of these of these: http://www.aqua-mags.com/
I was thinking exact same thing. But for roughly $20 I was able to make a unique shape I like that has a lot of swim throughs and hide outs for my livestock, but most importantly it can hold my mangroves. I created planter spaces in the foam to allow more rubble and sand like a miniature lagoon, they have been growing inside of a cramped acrylic box. They have holes poked through to allow the roots to grow down the rock and I will be trimming the roots and pruning the top leaves as they grow. My goal is to simulate as close to a nano ecosystem as possible.

With 3 suction cups and 3 neodymium magnets I was able to get the rock wall secure. I severely underestimated its buoyancy, and I should have used A LOT more live rock to weight it down in the foam. Despite its high buoyancy it is very secure and now its time to transfer my mangroves. A picture of the tank before and after the wall was inserted, only have the blues on the display right now.

TheRealChrisBrown;n639479 said:
That's awesome! Ever want to make me one let me know!
For sure! It was easy and pretty cheap, most expensive part was $15 worth of magnets. Definitely wearing gloves next time, still scratching waterfall foam and reef sand off my fingers...

Mangroves are planted, I hope they like their new home. I have seen some articles on people having great success with growing them in a bonsai fashion. I was able to untangle some of their long roots and feed them through holes drilled underneath their beds. I will try to borrow a better camera to post some pictures of them.

MuralReef;n639695 said:
What's your plan for the tank?
one picasso clown, two baby bangaii, one red fire fish, a cleaner shrimp with LPS dominant tank. so no tangs or anything that would eat algae

CUC is 3 small blue leg hermits and a red leg hermit, few margarita and nassarius snails and a tuxedo urchin

Mangroves died during transfer, I think the salinity shock was too much and some root hairs got broken. I ordered 10 new propagules and should have 3 or 4 left over if any one wants a mangrove! They will arrive Wednesday, March 15.