Glad I QT this time around. Will Aiptasia survive vinegar dripped on it out of water?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got a bit of rock that has reef herpes. I'd just dry the rock but it's got a sizable chunk of Cali Tort. Got 2 baby aiptasia growing in crevices around it. Would like to avoid just ripping the tort off and losing a lot of it that encrusted. Can't get a lighter without hitting the tort, so best options are scraping surface clean, but I figured some targeted acid on a Q tip might work well? Too small yet to try injecting with anything. Don't want to start the 300g off with aiptasia and have to try and rely on critters to eat them. (Proven file fish be great, but own risks, everything else is hit or miss or fragile or would get eat/bullied by my stock list. )

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I would be happy to put it in my frag tank until they are gone with my file fish.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol nice at sodering iron. In the past i had a lot of success in softer rock basically digging like a tree divot out around the aiptasia and removing it on that plug basically avoids disturbing it.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;n651729 said:
Lol nice at sodering iron. In the past i had a lot of success in softer rock basically digging like a tree divot out around the aiptasia and removing it on that plug basically avoids disturbing it.
I take great personal satisfaction in hearing them sizzle and pop :flame:

I also use a little butane portable version so I don't have to worry about those pesky electron things

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, shitty thing is I didnt find superglue in time, I'm assuming it's the aiptasia near it maybe stinging the base but the Cali Tort went from I thought doing well in QT with other coral and fish to RTN'ing overnight. I lopped off some tiny arms that seemed fairly good shape and hoping maybe one of those takes.

Now I'm torn on continuing to superglue the tiny aiptasia to save the nicely coraline/sponge/filled with mini brittles rock, or just dunking it in bleach for a day and starting it over.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They can survive almost anything. There can be tiny ones on there that you cannot see. Have a plan for what to do with them in your tank since there will likely be some in there at some point.