Glass baffle or divider with holes in it - anyone?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wondering if anyone has ever made (or purchased for that matter) a glass baffle or divider with holes in it so that water could still flow through it. I'm brainstorming for a future tank break down and switch to something new and think I need to either create and or buy some "holey" glass somewhere.

Example of the holes in glass I'm talking about (yes these particular holes are way to small for what I need)

If I need to drill my own holes, Im going to prob order some 5/8" bits from this place - http://www.armstrongglass.com/diamond_drill_bits.php?pg=2

Last edited by a moderator:

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Curious? Are you just trying to get passing water passing "through" a section, instead of flowing over it? Seems like it should work. I didn't like the flow over design of the traditional fuge, and was the reason I did the open modular sump that I did with my frag tank. That did what I wanted, and worked great when I changed the sump tank from a 20L to a 33L.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yes passing "through" so that water flow is continuous and even. Im thinking that essentially the entire baffle/divider will be riddled with holes except for maybe 1-1.5" at the top which would be out of water. What I'm thinking Dane is a divider in a display tank/Shallow Reef/Frag Tank just so you have some more info that I failed to disclose initially.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thank you Lan but I want glass as the tank will be glass and under pretty decent flow rate (i'm hoping) so I need the divider/baffle to be glass for solid securing by the caulk

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure, in theory I could see this working. Enter flow at one end, pass through baffles to far end drain, back to sump. Separate sections for different reasons that need their own space (safety). Probably a ton of reasons it would be beneficial to have isolated environments. I don't have the kind of skill to drill that kind of "clean" hole, but at the shop I used to work at, we would have holes drilled and polished all the time. I think you could run into problems without polished holes (pain to clean, algae foot hold, sharp edges, oyster chips).

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could use two piece of glass and leave like an inch or so gap so that water can pass through. Or use two piece of glass and glue the perforated acrylic to the glass and have like a pass there area.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Chad,
LeviK picked up his diamond bits on Ebay much cheaper. You might want to check with him for more information, but he seems to be pretty satisfied with what he purchased and how well they have held up.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
opakapaka;311471 said:
You could use two piece of glass and leave like an inch or so gap so that water can pass through. Or use two piece of glass and glue the perforated acrylic to the glass and have like a pass there area.
Hmmm i like this thought Lan!!!!!!! I actually could prob use 3-5 pieces of glass vertically stacked with 1/2" gaps between them. This might keep flow pretty laminar between the sections vs turbulent from unmatched flow rates top to bottom though out the holes.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
kmellon;311474 said:
Hey Chad,
LeviK picked up his diamond bits on Ebay much cheaper. You might want to check with him for more information, but he seems to be pretty satisfied with what he purchased and how well they have held up.
Thanks for tip Kevin Ill touch base with Levi when the time comes. If i go the drilling route, I will need a super durable bit as I would guess I would be drilling several, several dozen 5/8" holes :(

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;311481 said:
If i go the drilling route, I will need a super durable bit as I would guess I would be drilling several, several dozen 5/8" holes :(
Do you have access to a drill press? Could be a huge help if you are doing that many holes.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I assume you don't want full dividers with multiple returns / drains. I wonder how much it would cost to just water jet slits into the divider. That could be slick.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya rather not have completely separated compartments but that might be the easiest lol.

Going to have to check water jetting costs as I have no idea.

Here is where I am in thought now. Note * they will be glass so dividers hopefully wont be as apparent.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Idea for a new tank (Sunburst section, mixed shallow reef section and frag grow out (zoas) section.

Glass dividers would be 2"x.25"x2' with .5" gap between each. So water would still move and be shared between gaps. Then each section would have prob a return and non-wireless vortech powerhead.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I know this is a really different way to go but... What about three separate tanks on a large stand with a shared sump? Three cubes...

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think this is a great idea! Matter of fact, If I were you Chad, I wouldn't concentrate on anything else that might distract you, like live sales!! :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
What are you going to use for glass? Even low iron glass is kinda green when looking at it that angle....although you could do thinner pieces to reduce the green tinge, but then what to do about the silicone? Maybe a creative enclosure? I'm thinking wood panes that would cover the silicone/glass dividers. Man this tank is getting bigger and bigger.