Got a new photography toy yesterday

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I came across a 5:1 65mm macro on Craigslist yesterday and jumped on it! This is the mother of all macro lenses. It is by far the most difficult lens I have ever used. It goes up to 5x magnification which as some of you know allows you to project an image onto the sensor which is 5 times the size of a true 1:1 macro at full magnification. At full magnification this lens is essentially a microscope mounted to the front of the camera.There is no auto focus or manual focus fro that matter. In order to focus you just move the camera forward or backward. At full magnification depth of field is literally paper thin and lighting the subject becomes extremely difficult.

Im hoping with some practice to start focus staking shots to create some really incredible images. Ive been practicing with it all morning. Even breathing on the thing at full magnification causes the image to swing wildly in and out of focus. Handheld shots with lens are impossible beyond 2x magnification.

I almost had this guy captured in a 7 frack stack sequence which would have made for a great shot but the little turd moved slightly about half way through and I didnt notice until I tried stacking the images in photoshop and couldn't get them to align correctly. So I just picked the best of the 7 and ran with it.

This was shot at 3x magnification at f/16 no crop what so ever. Not a bad start start but the lens has the potential to really excel well beyond this if I can master it.

This is what the setup looks like.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I say feel free to update this thread with all future pictures taken with the new lens. Would love to see them. Look amazing!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone!

TheRealChrisBrown;n643455 said:
Wow, nice score! I think your first shot is great, can't imagine the ceiling on that lens when your first pic looks so good!
This is what this lens is capable of doing in the right hands. I love this guys work. Scroll through some of these images if you really want to see some truley amazing macro photography. This is where I am trying to get.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgoro1/14757709853/in/photostream/

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Wow!! I can't even get a real microscope to work without reflecting the inside of my eye - I can't imagine with a camera. Beautiful shot! And the Flickr stream is just amazing!

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
These are awesome pictures. I have a Canon DLSR but cannot take any pictures even close to what you have taken. Absolutely amazing.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
projectx;n643469 said:
oh wow, great shot. I am thinking about selling my Nikon and getting a cannon

Why Nikon is great! Nikon has some advantages over Canon and visa vera but in the end its the glass that matters and both Nikon an Canon have an amazing range of choices when it come to lenses.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
DANGIT!!! Why you gotta do so many spider pics, maaaaaannnn???

Other than the spider issue, holy crapballs, awesome pic!!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;n643528 said:
I know you like your bugs but lets see some fish or coral!!
Spiders are more fun. :) But as soon as the 200 starts to mature belive me there will be tons and tons of pictures. Taking pictures of frags is no fun at all. There is a coral magazine in the picture above does that count? ;)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;n643533 said:
DANGIT!!! Why you gotta do so many spider pics, maaaaaannnn???

Other than the spider issue, holy crapballs, awesome pic!!
I love the spiders! They scare the hell out of me which Is why I like it. Ive always been intrigues by super magnified of creepy crawlies that make my skin crawl.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;n643560 said:
I love the spiders! They scare the hell out of me which Is why I like it. Ive always been intrigues by super magnified of creepy crawlies that make my skin crawl.

You ain't right, man. You ain't right. You're dang good at photographing them, but you ain't right. About the first time I saw one of those critters in my fridge, I'd lose it completely. We'd be eating grilled food for a week, cuz I'd whip out the flamethrower and turn it on the fridge.

projectx;n643469 said:
oh wow, great shot. I am thinking about selling my Nikon and getting a cannon
You are better off learning your current gear and skills to use it. There isnt any noticeable image quality difference between Nikon and canon, they both have tons of anazing lenses. But switching you risk losing money and you will have to relearn camera controls. :)