got vodka?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have been reading about vodka dosing and I think im going to try...but I wanted to see if anyone local has done it and had any type of improvement or decline. I have not found info on how soon after you cycle you are able to start the dose. Also I can find all sorts of info on the intial dose but hardly no info on maintaning the dose let me know what you do. Thanks

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This came off of Melevsreef site.
For the first three days, I dosed a mere 1 ml. On Day 4 to Day 7, I dosed 2 ml. Then for the next week, I dosed 2.5 ml daily. Each subsequent week, .5 ml was added. Just to be clear, here's the breakdown for how much was dosed DAILY:

Week 1 - 1ml - 2ml
Week 2 - 2.5 ml
Week 3 - 3 ml
Week 4 - 3.5 ml
Week 5 - 4 ml
Week 6 - 4.5 ml
Week 7 - 5 ml
Week 8 - 5.5 ml
Week 9 - 6 ml
Week 10 - 6.5ml
Week 11 - 7 ml
Week 12 - 7.5 ml
Etc...

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;158792 said:
This came off of Melevsreef site.
For the first three days, I dosed a mere 1 ml. On Day 4 to Day 7, I dosed 2 ml. Then for the next week, I dosed 2.5 ml daily. Each subsequent week, .5 ml was added. Just to be clear, here's the breakdown for how much was dosed DAILY:

Week 1 - 1ml - 2ml
Week 2 - 2.5 ml
Week 3 - 3 ml
Week 4 - 3.5 ml
Week 5 - 4 ml
Week 6 - 4.5 ml
Week 7 - 5 ml
Week 8 - 5.5 ml
Week 9 - 6 ml
Week 10 - 6.5ml
Week 11 - 7 ml
Week 12 - 7.5 ml
Etc...
I have read that one thing I dont like (maybe I missed it) but he never tells his system gallons.?.?. The other artice said .8 mll per 100 gallons so I was thinking about starting at 4 mll which as you know is light for my system but better to go light than all in IMO.

Ok I clicked on the charts and found the gallons but I know people here are doing this and I want their imput if they think its worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The maintanance instructions are in the dosing instructions section of the article. The article says to start with .1 ml per 25g so .4 ml per 100 gallons. It then goes on to explain how to increase the dosage until no3 and po4 start to drop, maintain that amount until nutrients are undetectable then cut you current dose in half to maintain long term.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First question I have for you is why do you want to vodka dose?

I vodka/vinegar dose and have been doing so for about 6 months now. I dose because I feed my tank a lot and I am heavily stocked. It took about 8-10 weeks before I started seeing results. My NO3 was about 30ppm and PO4 .06-.08 when I started. I followed the guide that Kris linked. Right now my maintenance dose is 3ml vodka and 24ml vinegar. I am very pleased with the results! I am able to feed 4 times a day and keep my NO3 at .25 and PO4 at .02 week in and week out. I maintain these levels to keep my macros happy but not enough nutrients in the system to upset my SPS. My corals are really starting to color up nice and growth has been good!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
majicmike;158796 said:
I have read that one thing I dont like (maybe I missed it) but he never tells his system gallons.?.?. The other artice said .8 mll per 100 gallons so I was thinking about starting at 4 mll which as you know is light for my system but better to go light than all in IMO.

Ok I clicked on the charts and found the gallons but I know people here are doing this and I want their imput if they think its worth it

On the left side. Melevsreef 280 gallon display:

280g reef
280g Gallon Reef
Days 1 to 7
Days 8 to 14
Discussion on Reef Central

...from the start
Further Discussion

8-5-04 to 3-18-05
Further Discussion

3-19-05 to now
Automatic Top Off System
Aqua Controller II

...using computer control
The Super Sump

...makes all the difference
The Power Panel

...wired for success
Calcium Reactor Info

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;158804 said:
First question I have for you is why do you want to vodka dose?

I vodka/vinegar dose and have been doing so for about 6 months now. I dose because I feed my tank a lot and I am heavily stocked. It took about 8-10 weeks before I started seeing results. My NO3 was about 30ppm and PO4 .06-.08 when I started. I followed the guide that Kris linked. Right now my maintenance dose is 3ml vodka and 24ml vinegar. I am very pleased with the results! I am able to feed 4 times a day and keep my NO3 at .25 and PO4 at .02 week in and week out. I maintain these levels to keep my macros happy but not enough nutrients in the system to upset my SPS. My corals are really starting to color up nice and growth has been good!
Same reason stocked heavy and feed heavy (40 fish) (5 nems) My area is loaded with phosphates was at .04 last night. Starting to see alot of (red) algae growth in my sumps

What happens if you've been dosing vodka for some time, you are adding a sustainable level every day/week, and then you suddenly stop all together? It might seem like an unlikely scenario since you began dosing for a reason, but just for the sake of asking.
Does the bacteria experience a crash? Do you have to ween your tank off of the use of vodka just like you weened it on to the use of vodka?