"Green" Tank options

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;344054 said:
Not for me it doesn't, large and ask around I mean large tanks become cheaper to heat with your heating system than heaters, I've done the tests
So you keep your house at 77-80 all the time?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;344054 said:
Not for me it doesn't, large and ask around I mean large tanks become cheaper to heat with your heating system than heaters, I've done the tests
I just did some calculations for the heck of it, and there is no way this is true. Here is my proof.

the differential BTU/hr required to keep a 2000 sqft house at 75 degrees compared to 70 degrees is about 12,000 BTU/hr. At a price of $100 per 144 therms, this is about $60 per month. I have lived with roomates that kept the heat at 75 and I saw a reduction of about $60 for the same month of the following year when I dropped it to 70, so i presume the calculator is in the right ballpark.

Using this calculator

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

The difference in continuous wattage required to heat a 400 gallin acrylic tank with 3/4" walls to 80 degrees with a 70 degree ambient temp is 400 watts. With a 75 degree ambient, it is 200 watts. Therefore 200 watts difference for a month straight is 144 kWh or $21 at an electricity rate of 0.15 per kWh.

Bottom line: it is about 1/3 the price to heat your tank with heaters than to increase the temp of your house to minimize heater usage.

Last edited by a moderator: