Having more that 1 Tang in Aquarium...

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to get some advice/opinions on Tangs. I currently have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank that holds a Foxface, Tomato Clown, Melanarus Wrasse, I believe a Sebea Clown, and a Yellow Tang. I'd like to get a Blue Hippo and possibly a Lieutenant Tang or Sailfin Tang. Will having all these Tangs in a 75 gallon cause aggression towards one another? I know my Yellow Tang went crazy on a Pearlscale Butterfly I used to have until I took the Yellow Tang out for about 5 days and moved the Live Rock around. After that he only chased the Butterfly around every so often. I really like Tangs but I'm not sure if my tank is big enough for more than 1.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For that size of tank you will have to rehome the sail fin and hippo after some time due to their size. but I have a lot of tangs

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a Sail Fin, Blue Hippo and Yellow Tang in my 75 reef with no problems at all. Of course i added mine all with in a couple of months from each other. Im sure you will heaer something about the Tang Police out of someone but like a wise man here on MASC (MartinsReef) always says" What works for me might not work for you and what works for you might not work for me".

68RUSTANG

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a purple and a powder blue in a 150. They have some good battles now and then.

So with half the space, I could really see some death matches in your future.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you decide to add another, you might want to choose one that's not in the same genus. You're more likely to get fighting with a sailfin and a yellow than with a blue and a yellow. Also for that size tank you might want to look at bristletooth or kole tangs that won't outgrow your tank

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW...that does make sense, I think if I do end up putting 2 more Tangs in I will buy them both at the same time so hopefully the Yellow Tang doesn't go crazy like he did with the Pearlscale. Also, yes after their growth I would have to rehome them, this is my pitch to the wife to buy a bigger tank! Hehe.

I have a sailfin, yellow, foxface (i call these the 3 stooges) and a kole. the first 3 all follow each other around and were all added at different times however my rocks were rearranged around the same times to. they did display at each other but that was it. there also In a bigger tank though

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
It all depends. I'm sure you could get away with it, but what then happens when they outgrow your tank? You're either forced to get a bigger tank or get rid of a fish. Kinda sad having to give away a fish, if that's what it comes down to, when you've had him for a while. Especially just because that particular fish has gotten to big and that was his only crime :(. Again though, many people do it, but personally I'd get a tang and then a couple smaller fish.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You probably wouldn't see agression between the hippo and either the yellow or the sailfin but you may see agression between
the yellow and sailfin. I had a scoapus that got along fine with my yellow tang and my hippo but as soon as I added a purple tang,
the purple just hated that scoapus for some reason. Right now I have a purple, yellow, and hippo tang in a 200g. I also have a purple and
a yellow in a 150g tank.

I have a yellow and a lieutenant in a 130 and there are days I think it's too much. My yellow was small when I bought him and he has nearly outgrown my tank. The lieutenant is supposed to get even bigger so while I could probably add another tang or large-ish fish to the mix I doubt I will.
Tangs are awesome fish and they add tons of movement to the tank but lately it's been so much more interesting for me to add small fish that just take up a corner or a specific rock. I think small fish have just as much characteristic and personality as large fish and you can have a lot of them before you reach the level of waste that just one medium sized tang gives off.

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've got 2 Sailfins, a yellow and a hippo in my 150. Everyone has planty of room to go thier own way but they all hang out together on 1 half of the tank. I'm looking at adding a kole and possibly a purple when I move everything into my 180 I'm setting up.

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've finally decided on adding 1 Tang to my 75 and that will be a White Cheek. I've also started discussions on a bigger tank with Ambrosiozoa that he will be building for me at the end of this year.