Heater recommendations

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Time for a yearly heater replacement, and Im looking for recommendations on what types of heaters are good ones to buy. Big plus if the suction cups stay suctioned to the tank. Will be controlled by an apex. Eventually they will be in a 180 gallon tank, in a sump, so length isnt a big issue.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm a big fan of the Finnex heaters. I plug them into my Apex, so no need to buy their heat controllers. I had a 1000w version (not by Finnex) but when it died I was left trying to keep the basement sump warm with 300w heaters from Petco...didn't work well. So, long story short....someone advised me to get 2 medium sized heaters in case one dies your other should be able to keep up. So I have 2x800w instead of 1x1000w.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TMK5ZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
JBJ titanium or Aqua Medic titanium heaters are good if you have a controller.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great advice, thank you guys. How many heaters would you recommend for a 180 gallon tank, and 45 gallons of sump water? Total water 225-250 gallons (making my own sump, not sure on size) Id like to not have a heater in the display, and have just the heaters in the sump, but is that a smart idea?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Legonch;n661044 said:
Great advice, thank you guys. How many heaters would you recommend for a 180 gallon tank, and 45 gallons of sump water? Total water 225-250 gallons (making my own sump, not sure on size) Id like to not have a heater in the display, and have just the heaters in the sump, but is that a smart idea?
How many can vary a bit depending on the ambient room temp, but I would say 3x 800-1000w heaters would do great. Setup them up to backup each other if the one in front of it cant keep up, or fails all together. You can put them all in the sump, but I like to keep one in my overflow of the main tank as well, just in case the others fail or a pump fails. I also like to plug each one into a separate circuit so that if you blow a fuse there will still be a working heater in the tank

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 800w heaters for a 180 is way more than needed. I keep my house between 68-70f and use 2 300w cobalts on my 180, one set to turn on at 77 and the other at 77.2 via my apex and one keeps my tank right where I want it. My 270 is programmed the same way using 2 400w heaters and I have no issues there either.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and I really like cobalt heaters run 5 of these, also have 4 hydor Theo heaters that have been good and recently two aquatop heaters because we carry them at work and they have a good price so I figured I'd give them a shot. I think more important than the brand of heater is how you control it. The right controller makes all the difference in the world. Sometimes I think my apex units are nothing more than glorified heater controllers but having had heaters in the past get stuck on and cook tanks they are so worth it not to mention the increased level of control over the heaters, my temps don't fluctuate more than a degree and typically less than that.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
aquarius;n661092 said:
The 800w heaters for a 180 is way more than needed. I keep my house between 68-70f and use 2 300w cobalts on my 180, one set to turn on at 77 and the other at 77.2 via my apex and one keeps my tank right where I want it. My 270 is programmed the same way using 2 400w heaters and I have no issues there either.
Did the apex fusion interface change in the last day or so? I just noticed my charts look like yours now, and the buttons are a little different. That or Im losing my mind.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have probably had hundreds of heaters in the past 25 years and the Ehiem Jagrs are by far the most reliable and longest lasting.

Whatever you do, don't trust an internal thermostat on any model - still control them with something so that two thermostats have to fail in the ON position. If you don't want to mess with an aquarium controller, then get a Ranco - they are VERY reliable and cheap. Also, don't just trust a cheap, hobby grade temp probe in an apex - even the pro one is not nearly as good as something on a Ranco or other true-professional tool. Use a second controller on a titanium heater - you can find thousands of posts on the message boards of people who have learned this the hard way.

BTW - in case you all have not figured this out yet... BRS tends to push the stuff on their site with the best margins. Watching a BRS video is like a YouTube video of some parent showing you their toddler's art and letting you know that they are the next coming of Vermeer.