Hello all, I am new to the forum

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
im used to the ammonia nitrate phosphates and nitrites needing to be at 0 because of delicate shrimp/fish

I am hoping my first set up will be a lower maintenance 10 gallon live rock and shrimp/crabs/snails with a 10 gallon refugium. if i have a heavy planted fugi and low invert stock . could i get away with only topping of R.O as needed ?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
All your levels should still be at or as close to 0 with saltwater. Essentially what your saying is what many of us already do. I have a heavy planted fuge and ATO, which automatically tops off with RO as evaporation occurs, however, your still going to have to do regular water changes and maintenence. Plants will not replenish any type of essentail element that is being used by any inverts or corals.

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
I am not planing on corals just this yes , if i add trade minerals into the water regularly would just R.O top offs be alright as long as the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and phosphates where 0 ?

I have read about people using clay toped with crushed coral for there refugium anyone have experience with this?