Help! Acrylic scratch removal issues

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started removing scratches with a power drill buffing wheel and compound:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ryobi-4-in-buffing-wheel-set-3-piece-338378.html

(This doesn't show the compound that was included).

I tried using the compound for plastics, but didn't seem to have any impact on the very large scratch that needed removal. So I switched to the light metal compound. Still no impact and I put a big etch in the acrylic from the tool somehow (maybe asleep at the wheel for a split second?).

So I switched to sandpaper, googling to see that an etch needs a heavy grit. I went from 150 to 200...300.. on to 1500. Some sanding scratches are not coming out quickly so I have a big job, lots of issues to clean up.

So what is the quickest, safest path out of my mess? Seems I could be sanding for days and days. Should I go buy a buffing tool at home depot?

I should have just lived with the scratch!

HELP. Thanks!!

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just use the sand paper. It takes a long time but it will give you the best results. I would go get about a 3000 grit for the last level though. Nice a clear!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Luke, thanks! How long? Just want to make sure I'm not going too fast or too slow. Right now I'm stuck at 400...so have a long time to go...which is why I wondered if I should switch to another method? More power tool - ish? And that's just on 1/3 of the front panel of the 200 gallon (everything else is still on 150). Also I noticed this kit goes up to 12000. So if I do this (and finish in 2012), I should cover the grit.

Let me know what you suggest and I'm open to any other ideas also. Dave

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
At this point I may be willing to pay someone to come over and help me, who's done this with really good results.

Me and my friend both refinished our tanks, first by wet sanding using 800 1000 1200 1500 2000 grit paper then used a car buffer with a cotton bonnet and the 3 step novis polishing compound, results were great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks Freedom...I'm stuck at 400 grit now...big scratches...I think I need the big guns. PM me if anyone wants to come to my place and help (with compensation of course)...if you've got experience doing many tanks and bad damage repair...

daverf;178760 said:
thanks Freedom...I'm stuck at 400 grit now...big scratches...I think I need the big guns. PM me if anyone wants to come to my place and help (with compensation of course)...if you've got experience doing many tanks and bad damage repair...
Are you sanding by hand? We used a electric sander the one that accepts the pre cut square sand paper, there was nothing the 800 couldn't take care of.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave, glad you got my voicemail...I in turn got your PM & text. Where abouts in town do you live?? I most likely wouldn't be able to help this weekend but it would also help to know where you're located. If you were really close, I might be able to get over for a few.

Don't worry though, unless you've got one of the deepest scratches ever, you'll be fine (i lost sleep for no reason). I thought I had ruined my tank when I started sanding at a really coarse grit. I didn't realize it's a process that in the end is very rewarding. I also didn't realize that I didn't need to go as coarse as I did because I didn't have any deep scratches. I actually could have gotten away with no sanding and just Novus 2&3. When you get into the finer grits, hit it with Novus 3, it still doesn't look perfect. Novus 2 is where the magic happens. Novus 1, btw, is just a cleaner and dust repellent, it's not a buffer of sorts.

You mentioned only 1/3 of the front panel of your 200? Does that mean you're only 1/3 done, or you're only doing 1/3? Make sure you do the entire panel. If you sand down just a section, relatively much more than the rest of the panel, you'll end up with distortion when it's done.

Also, what "kit" do you have? You may have the same crappy kit I did?!?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...riums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB1551-FIMTCK-vi.html

Actually, I shouldn't say crappy...just insanely time consuming to use this kit on a large tank. Also, I think around 1200 grit, you're good to go with Novus 3 then 2. No need to go with grit as high as that kit does if you have Novus. You'll definitely need good sized bottles of Novus as well to do a 200g!! I think I actually have two new bottles laying around if you haven't gotten any yet?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Guys, I got this worked out, really appreciate everyone's help on this thread. Thanks!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for that...I actually used a random orbital sander...hit it from 400 to 1500 grit then novus 3-2-1...came out looking great...and went really quick with the sander. I just kept the pads and surface wet (used a GFI on the sander just to be safe!), taped the adjacent acrylic sides with the aluminum duct tape so I could hit all the way to the corners...and finished with no issues.