Help me with flow!

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 20 gallon nem tank with a few other corals (mostly stuff I just dont want in my 75) there are 4 RBTA (3 different color morphs) 2 clowns and a citron goby. 7 various snails, 2 green leg hermits. I have a 10 gallon fuge with chaeto and a carbon rx. The tank is about 8 months old, started with 3 year old tank water and live rock from my 75. I have been struggling with diatomes. My params have been stable and nothing is out of the ordinary. I had a nitrate spike when a snail died and a few of the nems didnt like it, but the diatomes were there before. I think my problem is flow. There seem to be dead spots where the diatomes get thick.

For flow I have 2 powerheads-a 660 and an 800 gph eflux, and my return line running about 300-350 gph and split at the outlet with a Y. This is my first nano tank and Im struggling with getting the flow pointed at the right spots, and in the right amount. If yall could look at my pics and offer suggestions on pump placement and flow levels, (they are all DC, so fully adjustable) and even my aquascape, I would be grateful! View attachment 16598 View attachment 16599

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve found creating a gyre works really well to create good flow.

I also like using the flat locline attachment and keeping it right at the surface of the water so that if there’s a power outage the siphon is broken almost immediately.

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks I'll try playing with the pulse modes on the pumps, see if I can get a good gyre going. You cant see in the pics, but I do have a small hole drilled above the water line on the return to break syphon.
I’ve found creating a gyre works really well to create good flow.

I also like using the flat locline attachment and keeping it right at the surface of the water so that if there’s a power outage the siphon is broken almost immediately.
Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app