HELP NEEDED: identifying dead anemone

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got a new anemone in today. When FedEx delivered it, the water was a frigid 40F :mad3: and the mouth is wide open.

The anemone still is still moving and it's foot is attached to the bag. Its condition seems to be improving slightly after a few hours (starting to inflate more), but it's mouth is still wide open.

This is my first time buying one on-line (I have two others which are thriving from my LFS). Does anyone have any experience with an anemone making it? Should I just cut my losses? I'm worried that if I introduce it to my 16Gallon Nano, it's going to cause lots of problems in this condition.

Any advice would be helpful.

View attachment 12089

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HELP NEEDED: identifying dead anemone

I bought a pink tip this time 2 years ago. Exact same story. I hate Fed ex. They had it 3 days. Water temp was about 45 when it got to me. It survived and lived over a year until my great garage sump disaster this summer. Give it some time, but have a large waterchange ready to go!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: HELP NEEDED: identifying dead anemone

I wouldnt give up on it just yet. Do a slow drip acclimation and if possible when ready to go in the tank place it in a basket or net breeder.
Also make sure you photograph it now and document the conditions so you can file a doa report with the vendor should it die.

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plus 1 on what everyone above have told you, also recommended putting it in an area of low lighting to decrease the stress on it with gentle flow. I've had an anemone die and it makes a mess (it was in a 12 gallon cube) so if you can isolate it a little, it would help. Also depends on what else you have in the tank. Some critters are more sensitive to any die offs.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Appreciate the quick responses. Yes, it's photographed and sitting in my tank for an all day acclimation (I pour in tiny bits of water every 10 minutes); I find that this method is better for keeping the temperature stable.

Nice idea on isolating it. Tonight, I'll likely poke holes in the plastic bag it came in and check it tomorrow morning before heading to REEFSTOCK :)

-Aaron

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
one of mine went into the koralia I scraped it all away from the inside of the pump thought I lost it all ,But the other day I saw a small gbta hanging on to one of my narcissus snails I don't know how it lives when the snail goes under the
Aragonite.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, after an 8 hour acclimation and the night in a makeshift basket that I fashioned out of a plastic cup with holes punched in it, I'm sad to report that the open mouth has now turned into goo. I'm calling it. My skimmer cup is full and I'm doing a 30% water change.

Lessons learned:
- For now on I'm always inquiring about the shipping details and providing specific instructions.
This particular anemone was shipped in about a cup of saltwater, sealed bubble wrapped bag with the silver lining on the out side, and two heat packs. There was no styrofoam cooler.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the offer, I got one at ReefStock today. Depending on how he fairs, I may still take you up on it. This one looks much better and is going through acclimation.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
@chswkt sorry to hear bout the nem, but if u got a nem at ReefStock today... then i :hail: you... those were might fine nems at pretty much any vendor who had them. which one did you pick up, if you don't mind me asking...?

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha. I grabbed one of the sunburst anemones $80.00 from the table near the entrance. At the end of the day they had a few left, but they didn't look like they were in very good shape. Good luck you want to pick one up; it might even be worth a return trip if you didn't see them.

At first I couldn't believe it because these typically sell between $250-300, but when I got home and it expanded sure enough it's the real deal. It's in my tank at work, I'm going to head there to check on it today, I'll post a picture if I can remember.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I did a double take when I saw them, and questioned the price. Nice looking anem, but no starburst :(

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got one of the $80 sunburst anemone's. Too good to be true, these normally cost $250-300. After it expanded I couldn't believe it. They still had some left albiet in pretty bad shape at 6pm last night.

It's in my tank at work and I'm heading there later today to check on it, I'll post a pic if I can remember.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: HELP NEEDED: identifying dead anemone

Is your RBTA really blue?

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
That center part is speckled white and transparent green. I love the deep purple tips. It does look blue in the picture, but I think it's the actinic lighting. I have a true sunburst anemone bought at Aquamart at the last meeting in my 90 gallon at home and it's honestly hard for me to decide which I like better.

It also came with an anemone crab (not pictured) which I absolutely love. Which brings me to why I have two anemones in my 16gallon nano tank now; my picasso clowns have been eying the RBTA lately and I don't want to loose my crab :)

I can't wait to see what the other one looks like once fully expanded/ acclimated. I used an iPhone 4s which believe it or not is a pretty damn good camera for tanking aquarium pictures. When they all split, I'll have them up on the forum for sure.

Cheers

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know how everyone loves pictures. Here's my true Sunburst anemone in my 90gallon at home (~6 inches across). It's under radions on the daytime setting. It looks even better under the blue and royal blue nighttime setting.

View attachment 12136