help with anemone mystery

Hi, a couple days ago my purple tipped sebay anemone died:(. and I don't know why... I got it about 2 months ago??? It's moved maybe 4 times... it's never really attached to something so I couldn't take it off a rock. The mouth was tight usually. and It had been looking bad for about 3 days. P-H is 7.9-8.0. He's 3.5 in. stretched out. Do you know why it mights have died? Also do you know of a nice easy keep anemone I could try?
Thanks.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
what are your other levels? Ammonia? Nitrates, Nitrites, Temp, Lighting. How did you feed it? Need a lot more info to be able to even make a guess.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
sebaes are had to keep for alot of people ...normally it has more to do with there handling before you even get it

I thinkthe chemicals were really good. I fed it krill, but it did'nt eat that so then I tried cocktail shrimp. (that's what I heard to do... was it wrong?)

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello there Kelsey!! Glad to see you finaly made it on and signed up, welcome!!:) You will find a lot of helpfull people on here.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
was it a white or yellow with purple tipped sebae anemone? If so it was bleached and could have been doomed from the beginning. Sebae anemones are supposed to be a nice chocolatey brown color with purple tips, however the white ones sell really well. Exporters will keep the anemones in complete darkness for long periods forcing the anemones to expell their zooxanthellae algae, which they get the majority of their food from. Without the symbiotic algae, they have to be fed, but many times are too weak to take food and will perish.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It could have been starved when you bought it. Sebaes are normally not white. My sebae is brownish with purple tips. Sorry about your anemone.

so I saw another sebea on craigslist that is also white, but the person says he's had it for 9 months and it has clownfish with it... should I trust it? he says it is white now, but when he got it it was green and purple, he says the person he bought it off of had better lighting that brought out all the colors... thanks for any help :)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
runningwild24;102709 said:
so I saw another sebea on craigslist that is also white, but the person says he's had it for 9 months and it has clownfish with it... should I trust it? he says it is white now, but when he got it it was green and purple, he says the person he bought it off of had better lighting that brought out all the colors... thanks for any help :)
healthy sebaes are not white

Never buy a white anemone no matter what the seller says. Same with neon pink or neon green bubble tips or as another poster found out, green anemones don't turn pink and visa versa.

That's what a healthy sebae looks like and it's kind of funny when you read people freaking out because their nice white anemone is turning brown, what did I do wrong? lol

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol....sorry, I deleted that post because I saw that I already said the same thing in a post a few months ago hehe.

And, hell, my sebae is in my profile pic too lol

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;102718 said:
Never buy a white anemone no matter what the seller says. Same with neon pink or neon green bubble tips or as another poster found out, green anemones don't turn pink and visa versa.
i had a neon green with purple tips that was perfectly healthy ...so i think you are a little off on that one

dv3;102726 said:
i had a neon green with purple tips that was perfectly healthy ...so i think you are a little off on that one
If neon was a color btas and sebaes came in we would see every vendor trying sell them for $$$. Neon colors and translucency is the color of a bleached/bleaching nem. There are countless posts of people on online forums who bought a neon colored bta only for it to turn into a regular colored nem if they're lucky.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i agree with the white but i have to disagree with neon one .....my neon i had since the oceans apart meet (8 months ago?)and it survived getting sucked into my overflow where it was almost nothing left but a shredded foot and no tips but turned into a nice anemone again until it found my mp10 last week and there was barely a trace left ...i dont think it would have recovered the first time if it wasnt healthy

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Elite had two really cool anemone, looks very similar to the seabea but even cooler... Might be an option.