Horse trough with float switch need suggestions

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i have a rubbermaid i think 100 gallon trough and i need to get some kind of either electrical or mechanical float switch. Does anyone use this setup for their sump and how to they handle the ato portion of it. If i use an electrical float switch a standard bracket wont work. With a mechanical float im worried about failure and overflowing. Any suggestions or in put would be appreciated

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have this setup. I don't use the standard bracket with the float switch. I made my own bracket out of lawn&garden pvc pieces, basically a big hook using some straight pieces and 90 degree elbows. I then zip tied the float switch to my homemade bracket. I've had it this way for years.

Picture's worth a thousand words. Hmmm.... Better do something about that salt creep.

And then to stabilize it so it doesn't wobble, I came back around with pvc to wedge it on the back side.

I hope this helps you out.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Horse trough with float switch need suggestions

Nice idea. Anyone know if a lifereef float switch will work with an apex. Assuming I need to buy a breakout box

Sent from Earth

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any float will work as long as it has 2 wires

Do you have a breakout box?

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Horse trough with float switch need suggestions

Sweet anyone have a breakout box for sale?

Sent from Earth

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm getting ready to order one of these:

I could grab a 2nd one if you'd like. Shipping for 1 and a couple of T's are $6. I wouldn't imagine it would be much more with 2 float valves.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did one my self and I love it. I bought the life reef float switch and I ran my RO/DI system threw a sprinkler solenoid that I got from lowes and it works perfect all the time.