How to catch an Eel?? Help

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, this Tessalata has to go pronto. Only 12" and trying to eat everyone. Shredded fins, teeth marks, it's going to be Braveheart in the tank before long.

How do I get it out of my tank!? I can't move the rock, not possible! Erg. Thanks!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Eels are easy get a big net put his favorite food in it they ussually will swim right in.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;210158 said:
Eels are easy get a big net put his favorite food in it they ussually will swim right in.
thanks Scott. ill give that a try. this one is a pain though, stays in the rock always and doesnt really come out when i feed. if that doesnt work, i wonder if there is sometging else i can try?

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
An alternative would be using a small clear Pepsi-type bottle (as long as the opening is big enough), tie a length of fishing line to the mouth of the bottle, place food in the bottle and leave it in the tank. when he goes in to feed, just pull up on the fishing line.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for that Badgervet. still no luck, I'm keeping at it though. looks like i may need to start pulling rock, no fun.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
still no luck. maybe i should try kalgra's aiptasia laser.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CAUGHT HIM!!!! with net, had to tear the tank apart. only took 3 full days. now i need to take a week off work to recover.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good job Dave. You taking him back to the LFS today?

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
daverf;210862 said:
CAUGHT HIM!!!! with net, had to tear the tank apart. only took 3 full days. now i need to take a week off work to recover.
Ha! Good work, I hate taking out the LR, even in my little tank. I can see why married guys in this hobby get smacked around a lot, lol.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys!

Drew, I'm letting him rest after acclimating him to normal salinity (since he was in a hypo tank). He looks totally fine, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow and see how he's doing before LFS trip, to make sure he's OK. He's in my biocube for now.

Praveen, LOL. i wish i got smacked around. instead i get pushed down the stairs and stomped on, when she's in a good mood. Luckily I didn't have to actually pull any rock out, but the rock is totally dismantled and shuffled. I'll let the dust and tank stress die down a little before trying to put it all back together.

HOW I DID IT
For anyone who cares, I tied a zip line to a small piece of eggcrate, stuck that on the end of my tank claspers, then kept goosing the shat out of him whenever he went into live rock holes with the long uncut zip line end. After 4 hours of that, he put up a white flag. Almost like he swam freely into the net with this "just get this over with" look on his face.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Irritated into submission, I like it!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, I'm with ya! Not going to try another one in this tank, after the removal fiasco. Don't want to risk it!