How would you sell your livestock?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My wife and I are planning on moving out of state in the next year or so and I will need to sell my corals to fund my next build. I have a LOT of large colonies and would obviously frag things and sell them off. The question is convenience vs profit, is it better to set up a "wholesale" arrangement with a local LFS for convenience or sell publicly and have to put a lot more time and trust in people. Obviously you never get the money for a colony that you would for frags, but how many frags of green slimer can you realistically sell in a year? I guess I have a lot of time to figure it out but would love your input.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
We sold our entire systems to a LFS. Definitely the best way to go if you want something clean, simple, and fast. Takes a certain amount of luck and good timing. You get better value if you go for credit vs cash. Consider doing this to get the equipment for your next build. It's a win-win situation if you've got stuff that they can use in their display tank, put in a maintenance account tank, or sell easily.

Next fastest is selling the system to an individual. You won't make as much, but it's fast and easy.

Selling it piece by piece is a lot more time consuming, but you are likely to make more money in the end, and it's cash. If you go this route, offer the colonies whole first, and break them up if you get a lot of people asking for frags vs colonies.

There's also the hybrid method - sell to individuals until you can't take it anymore, and take the rest to a LFS. Work this deal with them from the beginning so they can cherry pick the things they want the most, instead of just getting the stuff that doesn't sell.

Of course, you aren't shocked by any of the above, and you're calling me Captain Obvious right now.

Also obvious is to get your tank as healthy, spotlessly clean, and pest free as possible. The way your tank looks will make a huge difference in the amount of money people are willing to spend. I saw a LOT of dirty, unhealthy, poorly maintained tanks when I was shopping for corals. The condition of the tank had a direct effect on what I was willing to spend.

Whenever you sell to an individual, I strongly recommend dipping the corals you sell before they leave. It isn't a guarantee, but will definitely put people at ease.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A plus in my favor is my tank looks really good right now :)

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Not surprising. Your tank looked awesome last time I saw it. I think it comes down to how much time you're going to have to put into selling stuff.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In theory I like the idea of selling frags on Craigslist, I have had some success with it, but random people in your home can be sketchy. I will most certainly put my best stuff up for sale on the forums first, maybe even convince a few people to make the drive up north... For now I have convinced my wife that I shouldn't start selling off my corals until after summer, we all know what happens to people in this hobby in summer.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;347948 said:
Maybe have an open house? Have people come from 10-4 on a sat or something.
That's not a bad idea, I will need to set up some kind of frag flat no matter what I do. Fragging all these colonies is going to require more space than my little magnetic frag rack will allow.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Of course, I'm just trying to come up with strategies to find that sweet spot between price and convenience. I always see people wait until the last moment and end up selling corals for pennies on the dollar. My next build is a 24x48x96 in wall plywood tank..... so I need to do everything I can to get reasonable prices for corals if I want ti have the money for this build when I get to MN.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;347949 said:
In theory I like the idea of selling frags on Craigslist, I have had some success with it, but random people in your home can be sketchy. I will most certainly put my best stuff up for sale on the forums first, maybe even convince a few people to make the drive up north... For now I have convinced my wife that I shouldn't start selling off my corals until after summer, we all know what happens to people in this hobby in summer.
Boy isn't THAT the truth! Definitely wait until summer is over. An open house (club meeting, perhaps?) is a great idea! And we have all seen what happens with live auctions...

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Keep me in mind Matt, I want large colonies, LR, but I'm pretty well stocked on fish and equipment. I might be persuaded to make the 5 minute drive for them :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Post up the nice stuff with fair prices. Sell the rest of it (so-so) stuff in a lump package.

This is the best way to get the most for it without the most work. You could also trade it for equipment if you don't mind moving it.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think in reality I am going to have to set up a frag flat and get Fred over here with the saw. I look at Acans that I paid $40 a head for and know that I will never get that price for a colony. The problem is where I get into these colonies that are hard to frag like Acans or micromusa. People will drop $50 bucks for one head at a shop but when you try and sell a colony of 15 heads in your home they want to pay $30 total, it's actually just heartbreaking, lol. The sticks are easy, clip glue and sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;347974 said:
Live auction the good stuff. You know how we all love a good live auction around here!
Yeah, I think that is the way to go too. Fair market value is whatever someone is willing to pay for something, and a live auction creates that environment. I will prob order a lot of stuff from Josh when I get set up in MN, store credit with him is never a bad thing either I guess :whoo:. For the most common stuff I may just be the craigslist king for a while "FS 20 frags green slimer, 40 frags forest fire digi, 50 frags pink and green birdsnest $10 each" lol

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
You know Josh will send you the good stuff, so I'd go with store credit with him any day of the week. And I'm sure lots of the LFS's would love to take slimers and digis and birdsnests off your hands because those are easy for them to sell. So anything you've got left after you're done with the craigslister flakes (I was one, so I can slam them) can get exchanged with an LFS for equipment that's less likely to die en route to MN.

What part of MN are you moving to? My wife and I are moving to outside the cities in about 30 days. The reef club out there is massive. I dont know the truth to it but they brag to being one of the biggest in the nation.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a member of the twin cities something something reef club, Masc is better! The shops there are a bit of a joke, unfortunately. Looking to move somewhere in the Monticello area.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate to bad mouth my home state, but every time I go home I check out the shops, and realize just how spoiled we are here in Colorado.