I got my new tank set up!

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I picked up a tank from alan the other day and im in the process of setting it up. It is 30ish gallons with the back section, it has 30 LEDs for lighting and built in skimmer in the back. Yesterday I braced the stand and set it up making sure it was level before adding water and salt. After letting it sit overnight to make sure my salinity was where it needed to be I boiled some old rock I had and started on my aquascape, let me know what you think as I will be adding my sand tomorrow!

View attachment 16255 View attachment 16256 View attachment 16257 View attachment 16258

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so got my camera working right here are some better pictures, also I will be painting the front of the stand where the scratches are tomorrow.[attachment=65301:name]

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;275191 said:
Looking good looking real goid
Thanks

fishguy69;275193 said:
So far so good...
One step at a time:)

Dr.HarlemTutu;275194 said:
Now for the waiting game.
One thing I have learned in this hobby is patience:)

Do you guys thing its ok to add my sand tonight or should I wait a day?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;275236 said:
Cool happy to have ya back!!
Thanks happy to be back Charlie.

More pictures comming tonight when i get home from the hospital.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=65307:name]

Got the sand in!

Whats the best way to start the cycle since there is nothing in this tank, will throwing a couple pellets of food work? I feel like a newb right now:)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kutcha;275395 said:
you could buy a single piece of live rock and put it in there and that will seed everything
Not looking to seed the tank but looking to start the nitrogen cycle. Thanks for the input. I have heard of putting a piece of meat, shrimp, pellets or chemicals to start the cycle. I don't want to use chemicals so trying to figure the best way to get it started.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Almost anything will begin to break down in the Ammonia that starts the whole process.

Options:
A raw shrimp from the grocery tossed in.
Feed fish flakes as if you had fish in there.
Use liquid cleaning ammonia with the surfactant, add a half-cap or so.

All of these things put ammonia into the tank, and that ammonia promotes the little bugs that turn ammonia into nitrite. The nitrite promotes the bugs that turn nitrite into nitrate.

That is all there is to cycling a tank. Once both types of bugs (bacteria if you want to be technical) are doing their thing by keeping ammonia and nitrite at 0, then add some real sources of ammonia generation... like fish.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;275398 said:
Not looking to seed the tank but looking to start the nitrogen cycle. Thanks for the input. I have heard of putting a piece of meat, shrimp, pellets or chemicals to start the cycle. I don't want to use chemicals so trying to figure the best way to get it started.
yeah a piece of live rock will start the cycle in the amount of time it take for the rock to get from the the store to your tank there will be plenty of die off on the rock to start up the cycle

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
ahhh, I need an edit button bad.

liquid ammonia with OUT surfactant!!!!