I need help re-siliconing an aquarium

I like in the highlands ranch area. I have a rather large aquarium and the only way to fit it dow stairs is to
break it down. I'm looking to hire someone to help rebuild a broken down aquarium.

Phil

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I would hit up some of our sponsors since they tend to specialize in that kind of work.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have looked into have a pro assemble a tank in-place before, and sadly I never did find one. Its a potential liability nightmare for pros, so they wont do it.
Its not that hard to rebuild yourself and just get a friend to help lift the panels, depending on how large the panels are. Cleaning the glass of previous residue really would be the hardest part, as you need to remove 100% of the old silicon from all edges. After that its just laying bead of silicon on the bottom, and placing one side at a time from there. Square up each side from top to bottom and use a strap or gentle clamp to hold in place. Once that is cured, you can do the inner seal. Hardest part of that is taping off the edges, but takes 10min or less from there.

Another thing it doesn't have to be a thing of beauty. It's going in a wall and will eventually be trimmed out with bookcases. I just need it to hold water. If you're an avs fan or nuggets fan I can sweeten the deal with meeting some players and a locker room tour in addition to cash.

Phil

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I assume you have a door going to the basement if so what are the dimensions of the aquarium and the width of the door? It might be much easier to remove and reinstall the door rather than breaking down the aquarium, at least that is what I did to move my 480 into the basement.

The problem is the size of the aquarium not the doorway. I appreciate all the ideas but the only solution is rebuilding the aquarium in the basement.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Either remove the door as well as some dry wall. If it were me I'd rather replace that than worry about my aquarium busting because I didn't seal it right.