I sang Swing Low Sweet Chariot to a crab today...

Every morning my son and I feed the fish together. Usually when I turn off the pumps, our little emerald crab Harry comes out of his little crevice to do his thing. Well, today he didn't come out. I looked around the tank, and thought I spied him in a crevice. After distracting my son for a few minutes, I confirmed it was him. He was clinging to the rock with his legs but his pincers were hanging limp. I lifted up the rock and he fell lifeless on the sand. This to me said he was gonzo, and since I didn't want an ammonia spike I got him out of the tank and flushed him. Now I'm worried that he was molting or something and I flushed him alive. I've never seen a crab molt so I have no idea if that could have been a molt. The reason I flushed him so quick is that I didn't want my son to see him.

I did a parameter check and everything is normal. I don't know what could have killed him. Any thoughts?

RIP Harry...

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
probably was a molt... im sure in a few days youll see a newer bigger tougher harry.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I sang Swing Low Sweet Chariot to a crab today...

TexSun;239624 said:
Hmmm... could've been a molt.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
It also could have been his empty, if you were in a hurry to get rid of it, and just not have noticed. Be on the look out for a bigger, stronger, faster emerald.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: I sang Swing Low Sweet Chariot to a crab today...

Smiley;239626 said:
probably was a molt... im sure in a few days youll see a newer bigger tougher harry.

+1 ...hope your son doesn't get scared when he sees Harry doubled in size ;)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Blazinjack;239820 said:
That's what she said!
AHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, thanks Jack, I needed a good laugh.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Same thing happened to my crab, out of the corner of my eye I saw my porcelin crab fall out of his nem, lifeless to the sand. When I fished him out I realized there was only a shell and after he came out of hiding was bigger, prettier and if they weren't healthy they wouldn't shed. It's a VERY good sign your tank is doing well.
Congrats! Next time you can save the shell and let your son take a closer look.

It was seriously the weirdest thing ever. I didn't think the molt would look exactly like the real thing. He is all shiny now and his legs are longer than ever!