Iced Venti Carmel Macchiato Coconut Milk Sub Mocha Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Leak tested the tank today, got the toggles on, cleaned up the parts, and have water mixing. Hoping to have water in tank tomorrow. :)

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lost a number of corals over the past month. Spent a few hard earned Father's Day hours this weekend getting the 30L Fusion Nuvo up and running. This is the current view from the couch.

Tore into my sump to pull out some of my rock that's been cycling, pulled off a full 5 gallon bucket of calerpula from the far right rocks. Tweezed every piece I could get to and they cleaned up nicely. Added some of the rock for my display.
Fish: 3 clownfish, 2 yellow-tail damsels, 1 6 line wrasse
Corals: Orange monti digi, purple monti digi, red monti cap, orange monti cap, peach monti cap, green hydnophora, strawberry lemonade acro, fire and ice Zoa, fire and ice inverse Zoa, green toadstool, gsp, yellow scroll, monti undata, blue polyp monti cap, orange setosa, 2 rainbow nems, rainbow pocillapora, orange passomocora, babies breath favia, jack o lantern.
Not sure if all will survive, have another 20 or so zoas to add still.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Filtration:

Media tower has pillow fluff on top, charcoal and ammonia remover in mid, chemiclean/purigen on bottom. Refuge has calerpula, red dragon, dragons breath, and a green macro in it.

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank Crash.
Had a rough week with this tank. Had started seeing signs of some of my coral polyps receding a week or so ago and then this week the tank got covered in algae almost overnight. Checked my Parameters and everything was normal except for my calcium and alkalinity were low. Lost nearly all my zoathids and most of my montis. Left them all in, did a water change, added some calc and alk to the tank, and have started seeing some of the Zoas bounce back but lost a lot. My lps are still not well but look to be holding. I have another build in the works that I'm accelerating and will be moving everything over to fix a few tank problems that I noticed before starting this one up again.
Problems that I encountered were the refuge light was put in place where it shone into tank all night long instead of just refuge, I work mornings and never saw this when I went to bed cause the main lights were on and I never looked at tank before work.
Second problem was that the back of the aio had a section of glass removed by the person I bought it from which kept the water level in check and when they removed it to make room for a skimmer the water level fluctuated 1-2 gallons more than normal even with my ato in check.
Third problem I encountered was that I had put too much live rock in and there wasn't room to auction out all the waste, the rock also had spaghetti worms all over it and these irritated the corals.
Third problem was the corals themselves, I had my Hydnophora too close to my lps and my Zoas were too close to some of the lps and there ensued a chemical war that ultimately led to the montis and Zoas melting away in a very short time.
These are current pics of the tank today:

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
More than just light from the refugium. Would appear your nutrients are high. Yes you may test nitrates at 0, but it's being eaten up by the plethora of nuisance algaes you can see. I'd be slightly concerned you actually were having some cycling going on unless I missed part of the build (just saw "ammonia absorb in the box" and stuck out.

More flow would be beneficial w/ all that cyano.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;657391 said:
More than just light from the refugium. Would appear your nutrients are high. Yes you may test nitrates at 0, but it's being eaten up by the plethora of nuisance algaes you can see. I'd be slightly concerned you actually were having some cycling going on unless I missed part of the build (just saw "ammonia absorb in the box" and stuck out.

Yea there were excess nutrients in there.
All rock had been cycled from a previous tank and I used bactive 8 (a whole bottle worth) over the last 3 months as well so it should have been fine.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found the culprit of the initial nutrient overload...dead snails from a few weeks ago got stuck under the rock work. Found 3 so far that likely started the whole thing.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;657391 said:

One of my return pumps failed as well and was only pulling half the current through the tank. Will be redoing the rock work and cleaning things out to start it over.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I couldnt see clearly, but besides the return. It's often cheaper and easiest to kick up flow with more props in tank. The ubiquitous cheap used koralia or I think they now have the smaller jebao's out, or another few months and I think they have like a micro gyre coming.