Ich or ?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I saved this tang from a lfs he looked alot worse when I bought him but I don't remember these dots on the back of him, I thoroughly checked him out for ich before I bought him, spent over and hour probably watching and looking over his body for any signs. Any help woul be great thanks :)

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to tell. Just keep an eye on him make sure he isn't scratching on the rocks.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;206619 said:
Hard to tell. Just keep an eye on him make sure he isn't scratching on the rocks.
He's not scratching on the rocks but kind of looks like he wants to!! What should I do? Don't have qt nor the funds.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm dealing with it myself. Get a qt. The sad part is I have a qt set up and I didnt use it. If it doesnt help it self might look at donatiing to a member or a dbtc to make sure the fish doesnt die. Always some good deals on cl and petco has a dollar a gallon sale every once in a while. Good luck! I have also heard about garlic it can help build immune systems

Smokey

Cleaner Shrimp
From what I can see in the pic it looks like it could be ich. Not that bad though. I know you don't have funds for a qt but if you can't even toss a 10g together see if someone can qt him for you. Tangs are notorious for ich and that sucks for your tank. You really need to pull all the fish and leave the dt fallow for 8 weeks or you'll be dealing with ich forever.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. Freshwater dip for short term immediate relief. Google it for different articles on how to do it.
2. Get some rid ich from the store. Pricey and could take awhile
3. See if the store will take him back

Wouldnt let it go too long in the tank as once a tang has ich it seems to multiply quickly.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
280g-reefman;206627 said:
1. Freshwater dip for short term immediate relief. Google it for different articles on how to do it.
2. Get some rid ich from the store. Pricey and could take awhile
3. See if the store will take him back

Wouldnt let it go too long in the tank as once a tang has ich it seems to multiply quickly.
Should I just dip the back half of him where the ich is and see if that helps? I've read that ich is under te skin or something! Also he's been eating garlic seaweed since I got him Theres always some in the tank for the yellow and tomini tang I have. Catching them is going to be hard I'm going to have to tear down my tank. I'm going to be getting some clowns soon and don't want them to get it aswell :( this sucks so bad. I have a 40 breeder sump with a divider what would I need to make it a qt?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dip the whole fish, more than likely it's all over him, just cant see it all. I wouldnt add any new fish. I also once read fish can eventually buid up an immunity to ich so if your other tangs in the tank show no sign of it they might be ok. However i would be checking them constantly as once ich weakens their immune system they are usually gonners.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
hey juan
it doesnt look like ick to me. if it is its a very light case. if you dont have a qt up and running go buy a bacterial medicine called melafix by api. totaly reef safe and a great way to introduce the new guys for your tank.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
static reef;206637 said:
hey juan
it doesnt look like ick to me. if it is its a very light case. if you dont have a qt up and running go buy a bacterial medicine called melafix by api. totaly reef safe and a great way to introduce the new guys for your tank.
Thanks JJ!
I have a 9g I can put my clowns in for a little an going to be getting some ich medicine from a trade.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
ok juan i have like 2.5 gallons of kick ich. I could probably give you enough for the 2 week treatment for a coral swap or something of that sort

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
static reef;206664 said:
ok juan i have like 2.5 gallons of kick ich. I could probably give you enough for the 2 week treatment for a coral swap or something of that sort
So far I have 2 other deals for ich medicine to dose but ill let you know if I still need it closer to Friday when I'm gonna e down there!! Thanks again JJ.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
hard to tell from the pic, but looks like their are raised bumps under the skin on the main body and possible white spots on the pectoral/pelvic/caudal fins. bumps under skin would not be ich, white spots on fins would likely be.

JuanGutz;206631 said:
If I sell my 75g and light ill have enough money to buy a ATO and set up a tank for hypo.
If you are sure it is ich this is what I would do. Hypo worked for me great when my fish were covered in ich I followed the instructions here: http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html and have been ich free ever since. Other options are out there research and use the the treatment that you think will work best for your situation. But if I were you I would try to get something going asap.