ICP analysis

Has anyone used this local service several times and made visible results using the report? I used to test on campus for free to check if my elements were in order but never to adjust.

I dropped off my samples today and had all the results emailed and posted online shortly after. I will keep sending them in to see how my tanks doing. All the results looked good except my calcium was 400 even though my rs and salifert show 600. I'll test again to make sure. Otherwise very happy with the service and results.

Ghxst;n677098 said:
I dropped off my samples today and had all the results emailed and posted online shortly after. I will keep sending them in to see how my tanks doing. All the results looked good except my calcium was 400 even though my rs and salifert show 600. I'll test again to make sure. Otherwise very happy with the service and results.
My ICP calcium result showed up about 110 points lower than my Hanna Checker indicated so they may have a calibration problem for Calcium....

I heard from a youtube channel (can't remember which) that sent their sample in to Triton. Their calcium also varied from what their kits told them.

I retested at 500, so yeah about 100 off. And yes it's common in the ICP method because it's preforming a mass quant that's +\- 20% some elements. On campus if you used the same machine for a single element it was much more accurate but required a lot of work making the standards and curve and you have to run each element separate. Something I wouldn't do myself if I had all the equipment avail due to the time. I would use a flame AAS (atomic absorption spectrometer) to do single elements and we don't have one of those available.

all in all this test is accurate enough for most elements making it worth the $15 a sample fee. If I was doing published science that would be a different story and cost way more. I'll send in a new sample next week to compare

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Just curious here because I don't know anything about the various tests. But how does the ICP differ from the service that Aqua Medic does through their aqumedicwatertesting.com site? $15 for ICP sounds a lot better than the $40 I thought Aqua Medic was charging...

I believe it's all ICP. Triton and aqua forest are ICP. It's the only Machine that will test multiple elements at once that I know of. There are multiple ICPtypes, ms, es, oes and lots of calibrating standards and methods.