Ideas on 6ft t12

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am not loving the shipping and rarity of the elusive 6ft t12..... I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to change it out or if yall have any ideas of a good thing to change it over to? I only have it on 2 hours before the the MH come on and 2 hours after. My ideas were strip lighting or stunners. However that is a ton of money for just 2 accent lights. I would also like something that may double as a night light as well.

Thanks for your input and suggestions!

Luke

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Andrew_bram;341297 said:
Or 60 inch t5 at 80 was with let reflectors
+1

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run 6 t5 with let reflectors on my me 220 and I can grow sps on sand bed. If I fire up all 8 bulbs I cook them

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
http://www.hoveyelectric.com/hovey-...12-As-Outdated-As-Your-Granparents-Bingo-Game

Basically T5s are the most efficient florescent bulb. They do put out a bit more heat then t12s, if I remember right, so they need good air circ, but bulb for bulb they generally cost less and put out more light, especially with the LET reflectors Andrew mentioned. If you want to grow corals, T5s with individual reflectors is the way to go, imo.
They also come in a wider variety of colors and are easier to find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Which T12s are you using super actinic? If so from what I understand there is no equivelant to that bulb In terms of the color it can produce and the way that color wraps the coral.

Most who have gone from a T12 VHO super actinic to a T5 super actinic have been disappointed. There are several threads on this very topic on RC.

i just ordered a 4x48" T12 setup to supplement my MH. Once I confim the length and configuration are going to work I'm going to do a 5-6 year bulk order and be done with it. Perhaps you do the same and we can go in on that order together to reduce shipping.

let me know if you are interested in that.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would interest me. And yes I'm using a super actinic. The bulbs are super old at this point however. I will have to find those articles and read up!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The t12 actinic kill!!! The t5's easily 3 times the output. Just not new and fancy so no one thinks about them as good. They are!

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found some articles. It seems like everyone runs them at the same time the mh run. The ones on my tank currently are very purple for what the common super actinic tends to look. I like the purple just looks different than most. From the reading I did this morning the t12 tends to put out wider light then the t5 which is fine I was just wondering because of having 30in of water depth.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A VHO T12 will whip a pair of T5s and probably maybe even up to three. The color cannot be beat. They also last longer than T5 - about half again as long. They use twice the electricity of a T5, but since you need at least to T5, then they are at least the same and maybe a bit better - there is no energy savings in T5 over T12 to make the same light.

I would gladly take a pair of T12 VHO (super actinic and an actinic white) over a 6 bulb T5 fixture, change bulbs less, and only buy two instead of six.

UVL still makes them, but they sell fast. If you go with them, order a 6 of each bulb and keep them around - you can usually get a free box and shipping and then you will be set for years.

IMO, the only reason that T12 aren't as popular is because they need to be retro'd and the biocube generation (and beyond) want everything plug-and-play. They are awesome lights.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't supplement my MH. No need with Radium 20K, 14K Phoenix or the like. I think that few hours before/after would be cool and the bulbs will probably last a LONG time that way.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is what Seth had told me to do so that is what I have been doing. Just was reading that people were running them together. Sounds like the t12 is best to go so I'll be ordering up some bulbs shortly if anyone else wants to get some as well

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are just using them for dusk/dawn and not relying on them to grow coral, then you can use them well past their hour limit, but they will still last a long time. I used to use them this way (on after the halides for 2-3 hours to light the room) and change them about every 4 years. At 4500 hour useful life, that is 1100 days (3 years) at 4 hours a day.

You can typically order directly from UVL if you buy a box. uvlco.com