I'm back!!!

Hello folks, my name is Matt and I just got back into reef keeping. I got out of the hobby about 10 years ago and it seems a lot has changed, Reef Central was the hot forum spot for Colorado reef keeping but I guess that's not the case anymore, took me a while to find the new forum spot.

I'm starting with a 90 gallon with built in overflows, 55 gallon refuge, mag drive pump, and T5 lighting. I got the full set up including a custom stand and canopy for $400.00 but the issue I'm dealing with is a ridiculous amount of old dried coralline algae built up on the interior of the tank.

Any ideas of how to remove without having to replace the tank?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Glad you found your way back to the hobby!

As for the algae I would fill the tank with water, throw in all the powerheads you plan to re-use, poor in a half gallon/ gallon of vinegar let it sit for a day and then scrape the rest with a new razor blade

Thanks for the advise, I'll try that.

When I was involved with the hobby back then I actually was the treasurer for the Rocky Mountain Reef club. Are they still around?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nutternugz;277594 said:
I actually was the treasurer for the Rocky Mountain Reef club. Are they still around?
Wow Right on that's pretty cool, you were on the BOD back in the day. RMRC actually turned into MASC in 2006 so you will see a lot of the same old timers if you keep an eye out for them.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can just scrape the coralline off and either leave it in the tank (if set up) or wash it out (if not). Muratic Acid is cheaper and more effective than vinegar at dissolving it and won't fuel a bacterial bloom if you miss every last bit rinsing it - don't get any on your skin before you dilute it.

Go to Home Depot/Lowes:
2 Gallons of Muratic Acid - $11
Razor Paint Scraper and Extra blades - $5

Tap water and the razor blades should get the coralline off of the tank with some elbow grease - if you just let the coralline soak in regular old tap water, it will get really soft, turn white and is easy to get off. Wipe the blades dry after each use or they will rust. If you do, they will last for a long time. A 5g bucket of water and 1/4 gallon of Muratic acid will clean the pumps and heaters to sparkling new... all that you have to do is rinse them a bit with fresh water and you are good to go.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back to the hobby. It looks like she hasn't had activity on here for a couple of years. I didn't know her, just checked the member list.

Look forward to some pics!

Cherub;277668 said:
Welcome back to the hobby. It looks like she hasn't had activity on here for a couple of years. I didn't know her, just checked the member list.

Look forward to some pics!
Gonna be a while before a pics are up, I have to restore this whole set up, it wasn't taken care of at all. It's kinda like restoring a 55 Chevy that's been sitting out in the elements for 20 years, lots of work to make her look good again.