Importance of a Proper Clean-up Crew

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to start this up as I know a few newbs have been lurking around. And they may want to skimp on this part of the hobby to save up for other things.

I can tell you from experience at one point I skimped on a good clean up crew, as it can be expensive for a bunch of ugly snails and man did I pay for it in the long run. I got GHA and got lazy and next thing I know, tank crash. I know it wasn't all due to a lack of a good clean up crew but it was a catalysis. Now at times I think I have to many snails and hermits, but on the flip side i am almost algae free.

What are others thoughts on this?

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree fully. You have to have the basics covered before you move onto the good stuff. I read posts all the time about what creature will eat this or that. Clean up crews are such an important part of the system. I agree I don't like seeing the shells but gotta do what you gotta do.

I actually think that a clean up crew can not only be a valuable addition to a tank because of their cleaning benefits, but because they can be fun to watch. I swear that my tiger sand conch actually has a personality, and the hermits and snails add a greater degree of realism to the setting.

The clean up crew cannot be overlooked. I had a hair algae problem, but then bought a bunch more snails and hermits and it's practically gone. I think I'm lucky because I got it under control... if I hadn't I might have messed up the whole tank. ):

I guess im the opposite. Bought a bunch of snails and they just clean the glass. Got a bunch of hermits and they just killed eachother and the snails. Now in my 55 i have a turbo snail, few crabs, few snails, and an urchin. The real work goes to the detrivores which self replicate - stomatellas and bristle worms. I have a few cuc in each tank but usually like 5ish total instead of 1 per gallon. I do like watching my hermits crawl around though.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't overlook urchins, things are work horses, bulldozers too, but still work horses.

Well I guess that means I have one or two large guys instead of 100 small ones. I love my urchin, but I am lucky if I only have to glue 2-3 frags per week because of him. And it's a collector urchin so I'm lucky if he doesn't carry them around for a week as well.

LUV THIS THREAD! lol I love finding and building up the oddest CuC for my tanks, I think it gives it more character personally. The trick is to actually research (or get help from someone who may know a thing or two about CuC) and get a well balanced CuC for your tank.

I personally HATE blue leg hermits and will NEVER have them in my reef system again! I never had good experiences with them. They are far too aggressive with each other, other types of hermits, and love snail meat more than any food or algae you can possibly give them! lol On the other hand, I wil take and dump 30 orangeclaw hermits in a tank at once and not even worry bout what else is in there! :) As far as snails go - sure they are algae eaters. But some prefer smooth surfaces (glass over ur rock work) and some like this algae over that algae etc etc.

Best thing I tell my customers is to diversify when it comes to CuC. They more types of hermits and the more types of snails the better! What one type of food a certain type of snail or hermit may pass over - may be the favorite of the next type! Just remember to keep it smaller numbers - just bc you were gunna buy 40 blue leg hermits doesnt mean you buy 20 orangeclaw + 10 scarletts + 30 red legs. ;)

Also - MIX IT UP! Yes i used snails and hermits as examples above, but that's not the only thing that is considered CuC!! I have seen waayyy too many tanks that ONLY have snails and hermits... Maybe one other oddball lol which no offense if your one of them and it works for ur tank... Go for it! :) but as I stated earlier, I luv differant critters and want them in my tank! I want to see the whole eco system (as much as I can recreate in an artifical environment) and see the interactions and relationships, etc that are formed. :)

Oh! and as a side note to someone said they hate seeing all the shells laying around --- If you are referring to the ones we keep around so our hermits have a new home to go to as they grow, I chuck mine in behind/amongst my rock work. That way I dont have to see them but they are still there were my hermits can have them when needed :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just love watching the hermit crabs knock each other off rocks, cracks me up every time! The best piece of advice about clean up crews I can give is DO NOT order Nass snails off of ebay!! Read this first!!

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does any one know if hermits reporduce in an aquarium setting? i have been finding a few dead without shells. but mine all seem to be accounted for? its weird

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just completed my order from Reefcleaners. I'm a bit confused though. I had heard from MULTIPLE sources that John packs nearly twice the amount ordered into his packages. I heard Kris even mention he got a 40g quick crew that he thought would cover a 200g tank. Anyhow, I got enough for a comparable 150g quick crew, but in an email John said my order would probably be good for two 30g tanks!! UH OH...I have a 110g and a 225g for this order. Hopefully I didn't fall WAY short. I figured if everything I heard was correct and John overloads his orders, that ordering enough for a 150g quick crew would be good for close to 300g! NOT two 30g's. I'll post an update as my order comes in tomorrow.

Will having multiple Tangs decrease the need for a higher number of CUC? I assumed this for my FOWLR tank.

Boogie;137208 said:
Don't overlook urchins, things are work horses, bulldozers too, but still work horses.
Everywhere that sells urchins mention, usually in bold or red lettering, that they WILL scratch acrylic. Anyone have experience otherwise? I put a small urchin in my brothers 28g nano, which the entire back of the tank was covered in 2-3" long green hair algae. Within a week of putting that urchin in, it was GONE. Amazing little guys, I'm a true believer in them now. I just put two small ones in my 65g fuge which was covered in red slime, 24 hours later, GONE. I was hoping to use them in my displays, but they are both acrylic. :(

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't answer the acrylic thing as I have glass and the tuxedo urchins in mine. I will say that my order from reef cleaners came with 3x the amount of those small snails, the exact number of hermits and probably 1.5 x the amount of nas snails. I ordered this stuff for a 125g tank (I think I ordered the 90g kit) and I had enough to spread it between the 125g, a 75g and a 25g and still went and got a trigger fish to help reduce the amount of small snails in the 125g.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;137313 said:
Does any one know if hermits reporduce in an aquarium setting? i have been finding a few dead without shells. but mine all seem to be accounted for? its weird
I had an issue similar to this, maybe someone can correct me, but I came to the conclusion that they were molting.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;137331 said:
Can't answer the acrylic thing as I have glass and the tuxedo urchins in mine. I will say that my order from reef cleaners came with 3x the amount of those small snails, the exact number of hermits and probably 1.5 x the amount of nas snails. I ordered this stuff for a 125g tank (I think I ordered the 90g kit) and I had enough to spread it between the 125g, a 75g and a 25g and still went and got a trigger fish to help reduce the amount of small snails in the 125g.
LOL....well, hopefully I have to get a trigger for the same problem. Just concerned me when I got that email. If what I ordered only covers 60g worth of tanks, I would have to spend over $500 in theory to get my tanks covered!! I'll give the verdict soon. I ordered;
100 dwarfs
40 florida ceriths
20 nassarius (regular size)
45 nerite snails
5 tongan nassarius (large)

The 5 tongan will go in the FOWLR since they are for larger pieces of meaty/uneaten foods and I'll split up the rest with a heavier concentration on the reef tank since the FO will most likely end up with fish that'll eat CUC.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
these are like dead boddies my fish chase the legs when i try to get them out and they fall apart....unless i had alot more then i thought i did i think the are breeding or something weird

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's exactly what I found too. But there were never empty shells. When my shrimp molts, its a perfect replica of it, just empty. I feel like the crabs do the same thing.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hhmmm possible...cause i also have not found any emptys but the most recent was a blue knuckle and i found the body right next to a live one.....weird i guess thats why i like SW always a suprise waiting

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see the little crab bodies in my tank as well, and thought they where just dead ones but I am sure I have more hermits in there then I bought. lol

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;137321 said:
So I just completed my order from Reefcleaners. I'm a bit confused though. I had heard from MULTIPLE sources that John packs nearly twice the amount ordered into his packages. I heard Kris even mention he got a 40g quick crew that he thought would cover a 200g tank. Anyhow, I got enough for a comparable 150g quick crew, but in an email John said my order would probably be good for two 30g tanks!! UH OH...I have a 110g and a 225g for this order. Hopefully I didn't fall WAY short. I figured if everything I heard was correct and John overloads his orders, that ordering enough for a 150g quick crew would be good for close to 300g! NOT two 30g's. I'll post an update as my order comes in tomorrow.

Will having multiple Tangs decrease the need for a higher number of CUC? I assumed this for my FOWLR tank.

Everywhere that sells urchins mention, usually in bold or red lettering, that they WILL scratch acrylic. Anyone have experience otherwise? I put a small urchin in my brothers 28g nano, which the entire back of the tank was covered in 2-3" long green hair algae. Within a week of putting that urchin in, it was GONE. Amazing little guys, I'm a true believer in them now. I just put two small ones in my 65g fuge which was covered in red slime, 24 hours later, GONE. I was hoping to use them in my displays, but they are both acrylic. :(
If they are not acrylic safe dont use them. I have seen first hand what they do and well......leave little star type etchings in the acrylic not good

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
majicmike;137407 said:
If they are not acrylic safe dont use them. I have seen first hand what they do and well......leave little star type etchings in the acrylic not good
Thanks for the input...that's really all I was looking for...a real world experience, not a website that may just be doing a CYA. Sucks because they are phenomenal at algae control.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Speaking of which does anyone know a LFS with good prices on hermit crabs? I need a few (say 30) to supplement the troops, and my local LFS wants an arm and a leg. Or perhaps would someone in loveland want to pool an order to Reefcleaners.org to cut down on the shipping?