1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'LPS (Large Polyp Stoines)' started by Miah2bzy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I got this Lps a few weeks ago from another reefer, traded for a bunch of stuff and this halide was tossed in the mix. Have had it in my tank now for 4 weeks.
    Here a top down with my 10k halide on:
    [​IMG]
    I have it in medium flow medium light (halides run for four hours and it's right in the edge of the halides reach). Noticed today that one side of the coral looks like it's melting off:
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas? Tanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  2. just_tim

just_tim Amphipod

Looks like an unhappy chalice. Also looks like it's melting flesh.

3. Miah2bzy

Thanks! I'll check my alk as that seems to be what causes this when I was just looking and post back with results.

4. Miah2bzy

Should I cut off the affected portion or leave it?

5. Shaunv

Shaunv Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I have had a similar issue with a chalice before. I left the chalice as is and fixed my parameters and kept them more stable. I also moved them to lower light. He chalice eventually came back. It takes a long time though. Usually, I would remove the dead parts but my chalice was really small and I couldn't do that. Also, dip to help the affected area heal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  6. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Ya +1 to move it down to low light low flow area and getting the params stable. It should recover if you can do that