Is this RTN?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just went down to set up my kalk drip before work and noticed the base of my green stylo is all bleached out. I can't do anything about it tonight but should I borrow some bone cutters and frag this guy tomorrow?

View attachment 8488 View attachment 8489

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Came home from work and found a limpit stuck to the necrotic portion, I don't know if he is the cause or was just attracted to the dead coral skeleton. Either way, he now lives in the sump and I will be fragging tomorrow. :(

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
RefferMatt;183251 said:
Came home from work and found a limpit stuck to the necrotic portion, I don't know if he is the cause or was just attracted to the dead coral skeleton. Either way, he now lives in the sump and I will be fragging tomorrow. :(
I have a pocillapora that was in the GF's tank not getting enough light. It was bleaching and had started RTN so I fragged it down. One of the frags l must not have cut it far enough away from the RTN because it developed it. One day I saw a limpet on it climbing all over it. I just let it stay there....for almost two days it was on it. It left the frag and the RTN never continued. A little doctor in my tank? I think you are right that they are attracted to the dying tissue and in the process of that they consume whatever is causing the RTN. It has never come back on any of the frags in probably close to two months.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Isn't a slow death from the base caused by ALK issues? Either way I've used super glue gel above the receded part to stop it. I put it all the way around on the healthy part

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So checking on the coral this morning, the base is bone white, but it has not advanced any since I took the pics last night. I may have had a small alk swing but I cant imagine how that would affect just the one coral (I have a few SPS). So RTN is ruled out but not STN. Checked Alk today and measured at 10 kh, going to do a partial water change. I guess I'll watch it today and decide if I need to frag this afternoon.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
RTN has no real cause iys just a generic name for the rapid or slow death of a coral. If i were you i would do a standard water change and if it dosnt solve it then take it out and frag. I had this happen to a red monti and all the frags survived. I would alsp suggest dipping the frags in coral rx or something of that nature

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
mostly due to alk. and ph., but phosphates can also cause it.IME hope you are running carbon and I would do a nice sized WC

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a canister filter that I run about 3 or four times a year just to polish the water and eliminate any odor the water might have picked up, and had just turned it off the day before this happened. I will check my other perams though!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, Green stylo fragged.... Water changed... fingers crossed!! I'm not thinking it is a water parameter thing as all of my corals are growing like weeds including that stylo, Oh well!