Issue with skimmer pump...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have the Eshopps s-120 skimmer for my 60 cube and it's running the sicce sk200 pump. Yesterday I noticed the pump was off so I took it out and cleaned it. It fired right back up after that... But this is where my issue is. Now, it will run for 5-10 minutes and shut off at random. It then stays off for 5 minutes or so and kicks back on at random. This process continues to repeat.

I took the skimmer and pump apart a second time and made sure the pump was as clean as when it was brand new.... Still doing the same thing. Nothing clogged in the air line and everything is in like new condition.

It's only 1yr old.

Wondering if anybody has had this issue in the past. Is it as simple as replacement of the impeller, or is the pump failing?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any swelling on the impellor? I had a pump fail because the magnet got to hot, and heated up the plastic casing, causing it to expand and eventually split...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Issue with skimmer pump...

I didn't notice any deformation to the casing... That being said, the magnet was warm/hot when I took it out to clean it a second time.

Weird that I would have no issues for over a year and all of a sudden. But it makes sense with the start/stop. Gets hot, warps slightly, and stops... Sitting in the water it cools, returns to normal shape, and starts again... Hmm

Last edited by a moderator: