Jodi's 40g mixed reef

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So, as predicted, the 29g biocube wasn't enough to scratch the reefing itch. Rather than shell out $250 to retro fit some nice LED's, I bought a 40g breeder from a MASC member who was downsizing. (with some peer-pressure "encouragement" from Mike). The previous owner (chris) did a great job building the tank - removed the trim piece so the tank looks rimless, build in an overflow with beananimal system, and made a nice sump out of what I believe is a 20L. Its got a section that feeds from the display which will eventually be a mini-fuge (maybe), a big skimmer department with an awesome skimmer, and the return section. I believe the system had been running for several years at his house before it moved to mine. It came with some more equipment (doser, reactor) that aren't running right now.

When we moved the tank to our house, we disturbed all the sand and then added some more (husband's preference). So I had a strong feeling the tank was going to go through another cycle. In preparation, I pulled out the corals that had come with the tank and moved them into the biocube for temporary housing. The really large 20-headed hammer went to school where Mike agreed to home it for me in the meantime (naturally, I didn't have anything big enough to transport the huge coral, and had to use my dutch oven. And of course, when I got to school to drop it with Mike, I no longer had a 20-headed hammer and now had two medium sized hammers and a little branch - boo!).

I'm thankful I temporarily re-housed the corals, as the tank registered a level of 0.5 ammonia on my test kit today. No inhabitants in the tank other than some asternina stars, some pods, and whatever else is hitchhiking on the little piece of live rock.

Lights are some 165W LED's that we hung today (These: http://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-5...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01). Looking forward to being able to keep some SPS and the more light-hungry corals that just can't live under the PC's in my cube.

Every day, my 2 year old son climbs up to look in the top of the tank and say "Fish, where are you?". Planning to get a goby/shrimp combo, and not sure what else at the moment.

Next up on the to-do list while the tank finishes cycling is to build an ATO system (ordered the valve today), figure out how to silence the skimmer, and sew a curtain to enclose the sump once I'm done with the initial setup.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Whoops! Photos!

Chris (original owner) drilled the tank and installed the overflow and plumbing

Sump compartment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Andrew_bram;648066 said:
We sure like pictures around here what are you going to stock this tank with
Yea, should've taken the minute to dial down the LEDs before I took the photos. Maybe tomorrow when the sun comes out.

Not sure on stocking. Shrimp/goby pair for sure. Husband and I disagree on clownfish or not. My favorite fish is the flame angle, but gotta look up the size requirements.

Stock list is really TBD. Gotta decide soon, since we get the "fish, where are you?" routine out of my son at least 6 times a day.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
MuralReef;648067 said:
Looks great! Looks like a nice skimmer too.
Yea, the t plan we discussed isn't gonna work unless I can find an extender, as the compartment is the wrong size. I don't think you can fit a bigger skimmer in this sump if you tried.

Skimmer is an aquac ev-120 with mag 5 pump

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I forgot clam - a clam is on the stocking list

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Tank has cycled and some of its inhabitants are now being moved out of the biocube and into their permanent homes.

Hubby and I have some different preferences as far as the lighting goes. He likes the blues more heavy, and I prefer it look closer to actual sunlight. This is a bit too blue for my taste. I'd love to see numbers on what other people have their LEDs at. We're at 50% white 40% blue right now. Not sure what a good range is, or what's too strong. Putting corals on the edges for now just in case (and since they're coming from a tank with pc's).

Two beautiful black clowns and a clean up crew are the only non-coral inhabitants right now.

Skimmer has been silenced and is still producing some nice skimmate.

Also built a homemade ATO using a float switch and a gravity fed container for RO. Been really happy with it so far. If it were to fail, the sump could easily handle all the water dumped in (though the salinity change would be shocking, I'm sure).

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Clowns are in time out while the new inhabitants get settled.