Just so people know how I feel about the DBTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok I have had a lot of issues lately with the DBTC and one put me over the edge today (get to that in a min.)! First I dont have to give coral out for free I can take it and trade it in at the LFS for credit or sell it on craigslist. So that being said I am giving people free coral (taking money out of my pocket). DO NOT ask me to bring you the frag or meet you if I am going to drive some where I will take it to the LFS and get credit (put money in my pocket). I dont feel its fair to ask me to spend my gas money to give you a free coral. Now I dont mind bringing them to a meeting (but don't you care enough about your tank to not atleast look at mine?)

Next If you cant pick it up dont ask for it http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?14746-xenia. I threw this frag away due to the fact this never got picked up and others may have not asked due to the fact it looked spoken for.

I love to give people stuff ask anyone who has ever got a DBTC from me and they will tell you that the come for one and leave with 3 or 4 (trust me it is worth your trip to my house).

Ok so what set me on this rant today.......So I seen a DBTC for a green bubble tip nem http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?15008-DBTC-green-bubble-tip-anemone.
The first person to reply was Reefmaster719 and then davidoodle through a friend. There where 2 nem so I knew I was out so I just put that if someone backed out I would like to be a back up. Ok no problem.

Then I get this PM this morning

To which I replyed

And the got this back

But just 2 weeks ago in one of my posts

So I will let others make thier own opinions. But From this point forward please dont reply to another one of my DBTC's Reefmaster719. Also IMO you have taken WAY more than your fair share as of late and you are becoming a DBTC hog. Sorry to be so blunt but I feel I work hard to help the people of MASC and when I think someone take advantage of MASC I am going to call you out!

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
+1. I have some things that I am going to DBTC in the future. I am always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to responding. The same is happening on SCMAS.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
He has apologized to me, posted a public apology to the club and posted 2 DBTC's today. I hope if nothing else this has encouraged new members to read the rules of DBTC.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I dont think some people quite understand the idea of DBTC, to alot its a free way to get corals, and in some sense it is, but dont take advantage of the program. Its good to see the mistake was realized and the person in question is currently correcting those actions, that takes alot and does say alot.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you mike for bringing this issue to let anyone know that we do not want to abuse the program

Reefmaster719 I'm glad you understand the rules to the program now and thank you for admitting you made a mistake.

Let's try to move forward in a positive mannor and just so everyone knows people will announce publicly misuse of the DBTC program to ensure that it thrives.

If anyone feels they need to make a negative comment please pm a BOD member.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;186023 said:
I dont think some people quite understand the idea of DBTC, to alot its a free way to get corals, and in some sense it is, but dont take advantage of the program. Its good to see the mistake was realized and the person in question is currently correcting those actions, that takes alot and does say alot.
For future reference, this is NOT a simple way to get free corals. This is a way for people to diversify their tanks, not just simply get corals. This program was made/evolved for people to not ONLY get corals but to put corals back into the system. Remember, for EVERY coral you receive you MUST put 2 frags of that coral back into the system!! Those are the guidelines! If you can't stick to the guidelines please do not participate.

To add my two cents, I think this is a GREAT program oridea and was overwhelmed with the amount of people that offered a DBTC to mewhen I was first starting out. The concept is really great in several ways. Itcan help people with starting a new tank and newbies (like me) to learn aboutcorals that are easy to keep, it helps people meet other reefers, see differenttank set ups and snowball ideas or problems, it can (as noted earlier) providediversity in your tank and encourage responsible coral collection by reducingwild harvestation, and if absolutely nothing else it's altruistic in nature andshould make people feel good. I did receive a couple corals, and then startedto feel as though I had more than my share. Feeling this way, I have PM'dseveral people letting them know that I was very interested in the coral,however have already received a DBTC or two and asked them if I could buy afrag instead of the DBTC. I'm now several months into my first SW tank andwatching some frags grow, and very eagerly awaiting when I can give back to allthose that have so benevolently helped me and others in this great hobby. Upand coming soon should be some Rainbow Yumas, Green Striped Mushrooms,Toadstool Leathers, Ricordeas, Nuclear Green polyps, and a few unknown Zoas.
I do appreciate Reefmaster recognizing what he was doing, and correcting it.Admitting you've made a mistake can be hard on any forum sometimes. Well, thatbeing said (more than my two cents) the DBTC is a GREAT concept and Iappreciate the people who have been a part of it.

I have met reefmaster719 and he seems like a stand up guy, just super excited to get his tanks up and running and I believe him when he says he didnt fully understand the rules. Maybe for future dbtc that are requested by newer members the poster could insure the new guy completely understands the requirements and commitment they are taking on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think everybody should take a step back and breath, it was an honest mistake. This should have been addressed with the bod. Im not the bod but from my understanding this forum also violates the rules and regs and should be addressed. Public ridicule was not the right direction to turn in this case, in my opinion this thread needs closed as this was just a mistake by a newer member who clearly cares about his image.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;186101 said:
I think everybody should take a step back and breath, it was an honest mistake. This should have been addressed with the bod. Im not the bod but from my understanding this forum also violates the rules and regs and should be addressed. Public ridicule was not the right direction to turn in this case, in my opinion this thread needs closed as this was just a mistake by a newer member who clearly cares about his image.

The BOD does not regulate DBTC items. They are not the clubs corals so we cannot dictate how they are given out or not given out. If you feel that someone is taking advantage of the program it is up to you to continue to give them corals or to stop.

This thread does not violate any rules. There is no name calling or unneeded abuse. This is no different than any other user or vendor feedback thread. Most of the people here have stated they are glad he had enough class to apologize and tell his side which is great!! I applaud that. When it gets out of hand it will be closed unless the OP wants it closed

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
respect is something that you earn.....or at least that's what my father explained to me. and this is exactly why I don't participate in DBTC anymore, as I have never seen any of my corals I have put out get back around. just my 2 cents.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;186101 said:

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe it is just best that I just step back from the DBTC. I love to give corals out but more often then not it upsets me the way people act. Also in my life with my children I have learned that they always try to apologize right away and make things better right then. So time will tell in this case too.

Sorry you took offense.

Mods please close

Status
Not open for further replies.