Kalk in ATO?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone do this? I see pros and cons. I'm a newbie to this.

If so, what is your method? And what do you use? Pickling lime etc.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalk in ATO?

I've tried twice. I couldn't ever get the ratio right and it would throw off my params. And I had to clean out my pump every time I'd fill it up (every 3 days). I just dose 2 part.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalk in ATO?

I do kalk on my ato my brs 50 mill doser pushes through my kalk stirrer and my params stay pretty good

ColoradoReef

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
Kalk in ATO?

I use kalk and have a ato and a Two Little Fishies KW reactor. I set it up a couple months ago, so far i am happy with it.

C.J.
Elite Reef

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, Please keep it coming. Lots more research I need to do... As I see from above.hanks for all the feedback everyone, Please keep it coming. Lots more research I need to do... As I see from above.

Question for those that have tried just straight kalk in the ATO reservoir. Do you think if I premixed with water, let the precipitate settle, pour the water into my ato, and add ran a full time powerhead in the ato reservoir, that I would still have an issue?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to run kalk in my elos osmolater ATO. I did this for about 9 months then eventually switched over to two part dosed in 8 45 second periods.
The only reason I switched is when my demands got high enough I did not feel comfortable upping the kalk to the full concentration and dosing with just one or two top offs a day so I switched to two part, much more controlled and spread out which has been nice as its really helped to stabilize my pH.

One I get my big tank up (someday) Ill probably go back to running kalk in my ATO along with a calcium reactor to help offset the pH drop from the Co2.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Kalc reactor fed from my top off. I set the Apex to dose the same amount every day. In parallel, I have the switches and separate plumbing for ATO. I also dose Randy's 2 part, and just automated that with dosing pumps the other day. I really like using both since Kalk helps with PH, and also has a side benefit to help with PO4.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;229097 said:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, Please keep it coming. Lots more research I need to do... As I see from above.hanks for all the feedback everyone, Please keep it coming. Lots more research I need to do... As I see from above.

Question for those that have tried just straight kalk in the ATO reservoir. Do you think if I premixed with water, let the precipitate settle, pour the water into my ato, and add ran a full time powerhead in the ato reservoir, that I would still have an issue?

I dont think you need to run it full time and depending on your concentration that might be bad. I would hook up a recirc pump to the kalk resivoir but would put it on a timer or controller and just turn it on for a few seconds every few hours instead.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalk in ATO?

daverf;229097 said:

Tried that too... Got better results but it still clogged my ATO pump and I had to clean the power head too...

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK I've been measuring and reading more. I don't think I have room in my stand for another reservoir. And this seems to be something that I don't want to just do another of my DIY redneck (1G pitcher) in-sump reactors for. While my tank is Fish Only and dosing isn't as critical, I have a sulfur reactor coming online next week, so I'm expecting that Kalk is going to be important.

So one last question on the ATO path then I'll give up on it. If I just do a kalk dose that is low so as to avoid supersaturated lime water, premixed (in 1G RO) then added to my ATO with recirculating pump, do you think even that situation will cause cloudiness/clogging?

Assuming that might work for ATO/Kalk adding, I realize I still may need to manually add more if that doesn't maintain my levels...but at least that would keep the levels steadily boosted and reduce the occasional manual adds.

Thoughts?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally ran mine the entire time without the pump ever clogging but I was only using 1/2 - 1 TBS per gallon of RO and was only mixing the RO and Kalk once a day when I would dump more kalk and ro mix in the reservoir at the right. I always pulled the kalk mixture from between the crust in the surface and the sediment at the bottom. The two black marks on the container where my marker for where my pump pulled the mix from.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So you premixed the kalk/water outside of the reservoir, dumped it into the reservoir (without first removing the premix sediment), and did not have a recirculating pump in the reservoir - right?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra do you think if I followed your approach, but aged the premix (so it saturates) then make sure I don't dump sediment into my ATO, that I would still have some sediment?

And if I do that, should I throw a circulating powerhead in my ATO?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im no expert but that would probably work fine. Im sure you would get some sediment no matter what. Kinda sounds like a pain though.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah good point.

so if i don't drain off and keep the sediment out of my ATO... should I do recirculating pump (on a timer) or would that make any difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a Tunze Osomolator, and drop 4 tbs into by ATO storage container (4 gallon). My ATO pump is in there, as well as a circulation pump which runs 24/7. No issues thus far.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright then. I'll give the ATO path a shot. I'll report back if I find any tips or tricks. Everyone...muchas gracias for all the help...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Kalgra;229158 said:
I personally ran mine the entire time without the pump ever clogging but I was only using 1/2 - 1 TBS per gallon of RO and was only mixing the RO and Kalk once a day when I would dump more kalk and ro mix in the reservoir at the right. I always pulled the kalk mixture from between the crust in the surface and the sediment at the bottom. The two black marks on the container where my marker for where my pump pulled the mix from.

Thats a great idea and thats exactly how im going to set mine up! Thanks for posting up Kris