Kessil only SPS tanks

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;367190 said:
Also Chris, how do you have your lights hung currently?
I've got two 52's almost centered with two 24w T5's running along the sides. I drilled holes through the top of the standard marineland canopy and bought longer bolts to mount directly into the screw holes in the 52's.

The system is running great with the current set-up (fantastic color/growth). I just cannot stand the director. I've got some installation constraints with the director (cannot move it closer) and the problems with every AI update are getting to me.

I was looking toward the Kessils since their operation is relatively simple (intensity and color temp versus controlling all the different colors), wanting to remove the canopy and because i love how they make the coral colors pop when running blue. To be honest, i haven't been able to get my 52's to make my colors jump out like i can with the one kessil I have been playing with.

Just basically looking for some info from folks here to see if they've had success. The majority of the posts I find on Kessils are in the for sale section, that's probably a good sign to stick with what I've got going.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chris_W;367200 said:
I've got two 52's almost centered with two 24w T5's running along the sides. I drilled holes through the top of the standard marineland canopy and bought longer bolts to mount directly into the screw holes in the 52's.

The system is running great with the current set-up (fantastic color/growth). I just cannot stand the director. I've got some installation constraints with the director (cannot move it closer) and the problems with every AI update are getting to me.

I was looking toward the Kessils since their operation is relatively simple (intensity and color temp versus controlling all the different colors), wanting to remove the canopy and because i love how they make the coral colors pop when running blue. To be honest, i haven't been able to get my 52's to make my colors jump out like i can with the one kessil I have been playing with.

Just basically looking for some info from folks here to see if they've had success. The majority of the posts I find on Kessils are in the for sale section, that's probably a good sign to stick with what I've got going.

I would recommend adding a reefbrite or 2 instead. That's what most of us halide guys use for the LED pop.
I would do 2x of these http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...pNdWwgZsF3DqyA8qTwDKK-piRrq-A8VoOYaAhQa8P8HAQ

Last edited by a moderator:

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 150DD that is lit by kessils only,its a mixed reef but I was seeing great color and decent growth on my montis and a few of my other sps.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
flyfish;367229 said:
I have a 150DD that is lit by kessils only,its a mixed reef but I was seeing great color and decent growth on my montis and a few of my other sps.
This is going to be an awesome looking Reef when it fills in. How many kessils do you have above it? And what models?

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 3 of the A360wes' mounted right to the canopy.I would'nt mind redoing the canopy so I can raise the lights up.I just have them staggered under the canopy

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike tried Kessils on his 300DD SPS tank. It looked like a disco scene, and the corals weren't thrilled about it.

I have the cheapest lights possible and I get great growth my camera broke but here's my tank with 2 160w dimmable leds over my 150g I could buy 4 of these for the price of one kessil I only run them at 25% power and I've had them both for about 1 year now with not any problems

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great! Thinking I'll probably just stick with the 52's and move a few frags down to the sump under the Kessil. Just to see how they do.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Kessils do awesome on smaller tanks from what I have seen. They can be done on larger tanks, but the bigger you go the more issues with shadowing you will have, unless you buy like 8 of them. This is why mixing it in with t5s become fairly important imo, to fill in those shadows some. The kessils look amazing and they do put out plenty of light, but because they are mostly a single point of light it results in deep shadowed areas that grow as the corals at the top do. The T5s add an ambient and broader spectrum light that will help fill those gaps without taking away from the kessil shimmer, to much

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;367378 said:
Kessils do awesome on smaller tanks from what I have seen. They can be done on larger tanks, but the bigger you go the more issues with shadowing you will have, unless you buy like 8 of them. This is why mixing it in with t5s become fairly important imo, to fill in those shadows some. The kessils look amazing and they do put out plenty of light, but because they are mostly a single point of light it results in deep shadowed areas that grow as the corals at the top do. The T5s add an ambient and broader spectrum light that will help fill those gaps without taking away from the kessil shimmer, to much
This is basically my experience as well. I really like the Kessils for supplemental lighting but personally found that while you can get growth out of them by themselves there are much better options out there.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just added SPS to my tank but am running a Kessil lighting system.