Kh test results, Red Sea versus Hanna checker

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just bought a hanna checker for Kh that reads dkh. Upon three tests versus my Red Sea Kh tests, my hanna checker says Kh is 7.9, Red Sea says 9.1

Anyone else see a big difference like this? I cleaned the tubes on the hanna checker like the instructions says.

Im stumped on which one to believe now.

Thanks.

I compared both at least 4 times and they were very close. try to test 3 times with hanna checker and if you get 7.9 all the time?? how old is the battery?

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a red sea refill sitting here. Checked the expiration on my bottle im currently using, and its good until August of 2017. Tried the new bottle, and got results closer to what the hanna checker said. Im only .4 off now between the two. New bottle says 9/2018 as the expiration. Not sure if that is whats causing the difference or not, but .4 is better that 1.2

I tested 4 times with the hanna, 9.1 or 9.2 Kh every time. Tested with new bottle red sea....and its 9.6-9.8 But with the red sea, there is some room for guessing when the solution turns a true red. So, I guess the hanna is fairly accurate?

Do you guys typically use a hanna checker versus salifert or red sea test kits?

Yeah, I've recently tried a red sea Kh test kit.....and I was not impressed. The color change does not resemble what is showed in their youtube videos.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
pdfcrazy;n658887 said:
Yeah, I've recently tried a red sea Kh test kit.....and I was not impressed. The color change does not resemble what is showed in their youtube videos.
+1. I had the hardest time seeing the color change on this test.