Killer pistol shrimp please help!

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldnt say im an expert in the marine world but i've been keeping a saltwater tank for over a year now and have a taste now of what its like. So anyway i had my first tank and got a pistol shrimp (tiger) and a yellow watchman goby. I got it when it was already paired up. Everything seem to be ok as the goby watches for the shrimp, the normal basic stuff that i read over the internet. I decide to downgrade and got a 10 gallon. I was stupid and was anxious to get this set up going and threw everything in the new tank, live stock, corals, a bit of live rock that i could fit. The watchman goby didnt seem to do well at first but i thought hey it might make it and just give it time. I know i was stupid. But anyway the pistol shrimp seemed to do fine. After 3 days i found the goby dead and the pistol shrimp just eating it which i thought was messed up cause they were partners in crime right?? hahaha anyway I was sad to see that and in a way i wanted the pistol shrimp to finish eating him cause as a so call scavenger it was his job but in a 10 gallon tank i was afraid it might just pollute my water, so i took it out while the shrimp was trying to pull on its flesh. Knew the water was not cycled yet i as a friend to hold all my corals but i left the pistol shrimp. After about2 weeks i brought the corals back and everything seemed good as well as for the pistol shrimp cause he survived. After about 4 months i got a yashe hase goby because i felt bad for my pistol shrimp surviving by himself and whats a pistol shrimp without a goby right? I dropped the yasha in and it didnt really went straight to the pistol shrimp right away but after a few hours they seemed to be paired up as they are in the same burrow (pvc pipe) and both seem to do their job of watching and working. In the first 3 days i can see that everything was fine, the goby eating and just looking great, i couldnt be happier! After a week i observed them again and still everything was perfect eating and watching and working. Then over night that day i heard a lot of snapping more then usual but i thought its ok nothing to worry about. The next morning i went to take a peek at my tank not think of anything and realize my goby is not out as usual. I still see the pistol shrimp working but no goby. I stared at the tank for at lease 20 minutes because i was anxious to see my goby. I had to leave and just thought to myself its probally hiding and i shouldnt worry and i will just check on them when i get home. So when i got home later that day still no yashe hase, and this time i was really wondering. i gave it 2 more days and then i went looking for him. I tore up the whole tank basically and serach the floors and EVERYWHERE, Trust me i did cause i heard they tend to jump. But no goby and no bodies. I accused the pistol shrimp but i thought its nature that they are buddies. Anyway i didnt trust the shrimp anymore. From then on since last a week and a half ago i wanted to get another fish since my tank looked boring to me with just snails, hermits, and a pistol shrimp. But this time i wasnt going to get another goby since what had happened and i didnt want to spend anymore money since i basically threw it away for the last goby. I bought a 6 line wrasse about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I was happy and since i knew it was a swimming fish i thought it might just be perfect for my tank. He was a great and happy fish! Ate great, swam, observing live rock for ampipods, everything for the last week and a half now. Last night i fed them and everyone ate especially the wrasse. I woke up and saw the wrasse happilly swiming like usual. I left and i just got home and guess what ?? His @ss is gone now! I waited patiently and still as we speak no wrasse. My tank looks empty again but for the live rock and the pistol shrimp working. I still have hope he is just hiding as i dont even want to bother lifting up rocks and messing my whole tank up again since i have my suspicion aready. I search the whole floors and everywhere again. My tank is in a secluded area so if he jumped i would find him, trust me. I have never read anything like this online or heard of this from anyone. Are they a predator/scavengers? and do they really go after fishes in the wild? And are they capable of killing a fish the same size as them? Have this happend to anyone? Please help because i dont want to spend money on fishes if they are going to get murdered by my pistol shrimp. Thank you for taking time to read my situation but any help and suggestions will be great. Tank info: 10gal LED set up with hang on back refigium. I do a good size cup weekly water changes. All corals and zoas are doing great. Ampipods are all over the place. Hermits and snails are there eating as usual. And of course the pistol shrimp.

Last edited by a moderator:

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i Just saw the pistol shrimp moving out his burrow throwing the wrasse out as well, dead but uneaten. I took it out and flushed it down the toilet.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No insight here but wanted to at least let you know I read it all. lol. Sounds like a killer shriimp to me.

I'd lose the pistol shrimp if I were you. Their gun fires at the speed of sound supposedly, hence the clicking noise. They will kill other shrimp too. I had one a while back, cool but rarely saw him and he ended up kicking the bucket when I dosed too much alk. Either have a dedicated tank for him or spot feed him if you really really want to have other fish with him, but he'll probably kill them unless hes fed daily or so and he may just be "defending" himself so he may kill even if hes not hungry.

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I spot fed him all the time like a dog when u give him a treat :) I want to keep him because i had him for so long, but i want a fish and if its another diamond goby since thats what he was paired up with in the begining....maybe it will work? Thats what i'm debating about. Go get him a same type goby that he was paired up before when i first bought him and maybe he might not kill it since he used to it? or am i just in self denial and my shrimp is a serial killer and im throwing money down the drain?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
This video convinced me to get rid of mine

[video=youtube;eKPrGxB1Kzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc[/video]

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can show you many videos on mutualism of gobies and the pistol shrimps living peacefully so wouldnt that make me get another goby? I know the odds are against me for my certain pistol shrimp but i mean then that defies all of Darwins theories. The question is has anyone ever encounter this problem with their pistol shrimp killing or should i say murdering their partners after tricking them with open arms and luring them into their burrow and BOOM?!

A lot of animals have their own personalities, hence why a certain species of fish may nip at coral while others of the same species wont touch it. I wouldnt risk another gobie, the shrimp has proven his personality.

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone know of any other live stock that might be ok to throw in my tank and the shrimp might not kill it or is strong or smart enough to get away from it? Cause my tank looks empty.

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you want it for your tank gabe? Hahaha so I've read on other forums that pistol shrimps do or have killed other pistol shrimps and other fishes but nothing on killing its own goby..and he was doing fine with the watchman goby before it died So I'm going to put another goby in (not another yasha)