Large sump?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
#2 is basically how I setup my big tank with the 80g display macro tank and the 210g cryptic fuge tank. The DT gravity drains to both of them, and the macro tank gravity drains to the big fuge. The 210 is packed with tons of live rock which all the water is forced to flow through and then external pump to push it back to DT.
I had originally planned to use a horse trough too, but decided to go with a standard 210g tank because, for one, it would be very difficult to make dividers for the horse trough, and also because evaporation would be much harder to handle. The 210 made better use of the space under my stairs too. The trough likely would have increased the humidity levels by quite a bit as well. With the 210g I was able to make a cover that is hooked to some fresh air supply so that evap is easier to control and I can keep room humidity down.
The ATO in a trough is the big problem I agree. Gravity fed float valve

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The ATO in a trough is the big problem I agree. Gravity fed float valve
In my thought process of adding a trough under the sump, and having the return pump pull from trough....couldn't I keep my ATO on the existing sump? If it keeps constant water level in existing sump then the level in the trough should also remain constant right?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
In my thought process of adding a trough under the sump, and having the return pump pull from trough....couldn't I keep my ATO on the existing sump? If it keeps constant water level in existing sump then the level in the trough should also remain constant right?
No, I think the alto needs to be on the last thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If you put the sump after the trough, it could work, but if the trough is last then the water level will drop in there instead. If there is no chamber in the trough then it will be the entire trough water level that will be affected and that could affect stability of the tank because you will evap more overall before your ato fills it back