Leaching.....

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I used fiberglass rods to secure my rock structure, same 'ol same 'ol. I've been told that fiberglass rods leach chemicals into the system. That irks me because I search a lot of build and aquascaping threads to find out that people used acrylic and fiberglass most often. Never was there any mention to leaching, which it's why I ultimately went with them. A google search reveals an abstract about a study by Duke to test a coating, it alludes to fiberglass rods leaching out chemicals and the coating stopping it.
Could it leach out phosphates, could that be a reason for the algae outbreak?

What's your experience with acrylic or fiberglass rods?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only input I have is that I watched the newest episode of Tanked last weekend, and they were going to put something in a tank that was fiberglass. The ended up having to completely seal the thing off because of what you just said. That would totally suck for you to change that stuff out, if you even could.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's the resin that can leach. I don't think the fiberglass rods contain resin, instead I think it's just fiberglass compressed under heavy pressure to form the rod. I'm using them in my reef with no problem.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Metalsniper;161183 said:
Yeah, that had to coat that big sharks head, but I think it is only certain kinds of fiberglass. What exactly did you use?
I used whatever foco plastics had. 4' section was $10. I used a dremel to cut it and the edges turned black and the center kinda melted. I tried using a ratcheting pipe cutter, but that only took a bite out of the blade. Don't know if that's any more descriptive.

I'm starting bp next week, is the leaching chemicals only phosphate? If so, can't I use that to supply a source for the bp?