LED help

Smokey

Cleaner Shrimp
I think I may fiddle around with my LED light and replace the drivers with dimmable ones and add some pots so I can tone down the light for my corals. I'm not sure which drivers to be looking for so I would appreciate any help I can get frm those who know more Han me. Right now the light I have looks like this:

There is one driver this size:

And two drivers this size:

If anyone could point me the right way I'd appreciate it

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You will want to find dimmable drivers that come close to matching the wattage so that you aren't overdriving your LEDs. Depending how many LEDs are on the string for each driver, you MAY be able to get away with going up just a touch in wattage...divide the watts of each driver by the number of LEDs in the string and just make sure that you stay under 3W each if they are 3W leds...or 1W each if you are running 1W LEDs.

More importantly, you also have to match the current output of the drivers. That first driver runs at 0.8A, or 800mA. The second driver runs at 520mA. You don't want to go higher than those numbers at all on any of the dimmable drivers you pick up.

The only other thing you need to do is make sure that the drivers you pick up can run on a potentiometer. If you look on ledgroupbuy.com, all of their dimmable drivers are compatible with potentiometers...and I'm pretty sure they have some that you could use to replace your current non-dimmable ones.

Good luck. If I missed anything or have any incorrect info, someone correct me. I've only repaired a fixture and haven't done much DIY other than that.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used Rapid LED to buy my LED parts, they specify dimmable or non. They also sell the pots and a mounting plate that look pretty clean...