LED question

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Getting ready to order the drivers. Do you guys still think the ELN-60-48P and 27P are my best options if I'm going to use the Typhoon controller? The numbers break down like this:

18 RB - 9 on each 48P driver
12 NW - all on one 48P driver
6 TV - all on one 27P driver
4 Red and 4 Turquoise - all on one 27P driver

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everything is in, except the drivers. Those should be in next week some time. Bad news is I'm in Vegas for the week and can't put this together. :( Guess it'll just have to wait another week or 2.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea yea, just visiting family. Not really doing much fun stuff. Was just at Fry's though trying to get some stuff for the build.

Quick question for you guys. What's the best way to be able to disconnect the wiring from the hood to the stand so I can remove the hood if needed? I got a molex type connector, but it's not waterproof and I'm sure that would be an issue. What do you guys think?

I also think I'm going to do my drivers a bit differently. Since I'm not going to have a sump on this tank, I'm just going to mount the drivers in the stand. I'll then put all the wiring in a smaller project box and mount my DIM4 controller on the outside of that same box. Should come out looking really good, at least I hope.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Just about have everything. Need to finalize the layout, then I can start soldering. Hopefully my drivers will be in this week and I can do the change over next weekend.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another quick question, if anybody is still reading this. It was suggested that I do clusters to get better color blending. Here's my total LED color count and the clustering that was recommended.

18 RB
12 NW
6 TV
4 DR
4 Turquoise (T)

Clusters:

4 Clusters of RB, NW, TV, DR, T
2 Clusters of RB, NW, TV
6 Clusters of RB, RB, NW

Here's a general layout on my heatsink. The dimes are the moon lights.

I was going to put the last 2 clusters with TV in the middle.

Let me know what you guys think. All colors will be on their own driver, except the Turquoise and Deep Red as those are on the same driver.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could also do this layout:

and move the 2 clusters with TV, to the outside of the middle. Dimes are still moon lights.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bump. Would love some input on the generic layout above.

Drew

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the color depends on a lot of factor's. My build is only 2 colors currently, so can't speak with much about the benefits of grouping stuff together.

I would have a feeling that it would be better to equally space them though. How high above the water line will the fixture be?
Grouping them together would help with blending a little (Depending on what Optics you put on them). But, I think it would cause more of a spot lighting affect and heating issue. But your groups still look pretty close to each other anyway, so I am not sure the spot lighting would be an issue.

You will have a fan on that heatsink to cool it right?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is for my 29 gallon Biocube and will be going in the hood. This will put the LED's only a couple inches above the water. Optics are 120 degree built into the LED as that's the widest I could get. Didn't want any optics at all, but the 120's should give me a good spread with good PAR on the sand. I think I might go with the second layout, with the 5 LED clusters towards the middle. If that doesn't work out I can always redo it and put them in straight lines.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What do you guys think of this layout?

Imagine the whole sticky pad as the heatsink and pulling the LEDs into where the black line is. This will help cluster even more, and also give the outer LEDs more heatsink to disipate heat through. I really think this is the one I'm going to go with. Now to figure out how to lay it out square on the heatsink.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope. Never really played with it. Tried Google Sketchup for a couple days and stopped. Too frustrating.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Chad. Heatsink is 7.29"x14". Was thinking about coming in about 3/4" on each side and then doing the LED layout above that's drawn on the sticky note. LEDs are standard size of 20mm.

If you could draw that out for me that would be awesome.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok guys, here is the final layout I'm going to use. Big thanks to Chad for drawing this out for me.

I'll start a build thread next in the DIY section since that's what I'll be doing now.