LED Spectrum - The Article most of us have been waiting for

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Excellent Article - I think it shows that Radion has the right idea. My AI Sol Blue...isnt quite what I thought it was. Whoever can develop a fully controllable LED that mimics a Metal Halide in spectrum will clearly earn market share!!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just saw this sweet!!!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Makes me feel good about my DIY build I'm about to do.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't see much difference between all of them......the Radium has an extra spike in the red range
but they are all similar. I think I just need to add some red to my Sol Blues. Maybe this will help keep
red acans red lol.

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
I found that quite illuminating! Thanks for the link.

I expected better, yet I'm not surprised either. It sure helps me consider the home made overkill setup though. Looks like a bit of extra Blue is still in order on almost all of them.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;149892 said:
I don't see much difference between all of them......the Radium has an extra spike in the red range
but they are all similar. I think I just need to add some red to my Sol Blues. Maybe this will help keep
red acans red lol.
Actually red light has been shown to stunt coral growth, try putting the acans in the shade

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
After reading that link, it makes me want a DIY set up over anything else right now.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So maybe it is just me, but I fail to see how any of Sanjay's article is groundbreaking or news to anyone who has even read anything about LED's.

Sanjay makes some assumptions about Red light benefiting fish and corals with red pigmentation (there is no source cited for this info, or any proof given in the article, so it is his opinion only).

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I've shruged this comment off from a few people ,the red . If red was bad for coral then halide and t5's wouldn't keeps sps ? I'm not a believer maybe he added too much, that's what I think. Also did he give a brand of red led he used? I can't find this thread I would like to see it.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red is for plant growth and appearance of red corals. There is not much red 30 ft down in the ocean.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
deadrock;149927 said:
Ok so I've shruged this comment off from a few people ,the red . If red was bad for coral then halide and t5's wouldn't keeps sps ? I'm not a believer maybe he added too much, that's what I think. Also did he give a brand of red led he used? I can't find this thread I would like to see it.
Talking about the posts about Red's stunting coral growth?
I think a lot of that stems from rumors and info being propagated through the hobby.
Unless there is a article with experiments proving this, I don't really listen to it.

Now on the other hand, is Red a good color and worth adding? Same thing as above, its yet to be proven.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sps require more light and they are closer to the surface . Red would be more likely to harm softies and nems.

Attached is the full spectrum of the sun

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A couple weeks ago I saw a graph showing what wavelengths were filtered at what depth, red was the first to be filtered, and didnt go much below 3 ft.
Looking for this stuff is like a steering wheel for a belt buckle.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;149937 said:
A couple weeks ago I saw a graph showing what wavelengths were filtered at what depth, red was the first to be filtered, and didnt go much below 3 ft.
Looking for this stuff is like a steering wheel for a belt buckle.
You are correct about that. I was trying to find something about the spectrum at 10m.

Also. Red is the first list absorbed by water. And then it works down the spectrum. Violet penetrates the furthest.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know a little about color correcting light filtration for film. Not much different for LEDs. ;)

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Green would be the most valuable thing I could see being added for color growth.